Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Child Trust Funds Scrapped

Replies

• Options
    We'll miss out by 1 month with our second but to be honest I'd rather live in a country that isn't so heavily in debt than get the £250 which I can put away myself.  I feel far more satisfied saving my own hard earned cash on my babies than wanting the government to do it for me - the money could be spent in far better ways like improving education and healthcare!
  • Options
    I'm confused! My daughter was born in Feb this year, but we were still waiting forher voucher (andchild benefit) to come through. Does this mean she won't get the trust fund now??
  • Options
    In all honesty, £250 wont be worth much in 18 yrs time anyway if things carry on the way they're going.
  • Options

I agree the CTF isnt really worth it, £250 in 18 years.... it is nice they have something little in the future but I would rather than money go on something else, schools, health etc (ps I am not pro conservative!)

• Options
    As usual the cutbacks mean that it is the poorest people who will end up suffering the most. £250 might not seem like much to some people but to me it was a godsend. As all my money goes out on food, bills and other necessities it would have took me months and months to put away that amount for my daughter.

Perhaps one reason why so many people did not take advantage of the CTF is because it is complicated to set up which I'm sure put some people off. You couldn't just walk into any bank or building society and talk to a real person about it and get it done there and then, which call me old fashioned is that I prefer to do. Instead you had to fill in forms, send them off, pray they didn't get lost in the post and wait 6 weeks and very few high street banks/building societies did the CTF. In the town where I live, for example, there were just two places that did the CTF, otherwise it was a case of trawling the internet and going with some company I had never heard of and knew nothing about.
  • Options

"The cuts come as Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg warned yesterday that the time had come for “difficult decision and that the “age of plenty” was over". - it will be over for many, especially for poor and for babies, but not OVER for rich and in power. And, by the way, - what is happening with his "no-more-nuckes"? Nothing, because he is very vulgar hypocrit & mideocracy,  pretending to be aristocracy... Soon normal people will be sick of all of them...