Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Cost of second child forces parents to stay at home

Replies

• Options

I agree the cost of childcare is the absolute problem especially if you are in what the govt think is a 'middle' income.  I got made redundant when I was on maternity leave with my second child, they company claimed they didn't have enough to pay other than the minimum - so it has caused me to really rethink how I earn the income because I can't pay for the 2 kids in childcare or get any help from places like Sure Start because 'I earn too much' ...

• Options
    We decided when I fell pregnant with Lily in 2009 that I would not return to work until she went to school, one of the primary reasons being due to the childcare fees in the area.  For Lily to be in a nursery would cost us around £800 a month, which is a huge amount to pay out.  Now we have baby No 2 on the way, me returning to work and full time childcare is definately not an option.  Purse strings are firmly pulled in!
  • Options
    I rang about tax credits on Friday & for me to work a 40 hour week after I made up the child care cost & my initial tax credits were reduced because I'd be working again I'd clear about £80 per week. I just can't justify missing out on my 2 girls growing up for £80. As we are a family with me, their dad who works 40 hour & our 2 girls we get a small amount of tax credits & benefit to help. Child care is nearly £18k a year. Instead I'v opted to do an Open University degree while I am off with the girls. Once they are at school I would like to then convert it to a teaching degree. Open Uni is great to have flexible education times & amazing funding. My degree wont cost me a thing to do which is fantastic. Hopefully I will be able to teach psychology when the girls are older & that will be an increase on the potential wage I could earn now. I know the governments view is not give people endless amounts of money because we have chosen to have children but why can't the government have nursery more like private ones that take children from 6 weeks old but with a reduced cost as a bonus for going back to work. I'd be happy with that & more people would probably return to work.
  • Options
    the cost of children care is a real problem for parents returning to work it becomes an even bigger problem if one of the children has special needs I feel that there is no way I could go back to work and afford to pay for the care my son needs