Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Ignored babies suffer stress

Replies

• Options
    I don't like the controlled crying method.  I hate to leave my baby crying, and will always try to comfort them, and my older children certainly aren't spoilt, so I'll not be leaving Jack to cry.
  • Options

its pretty impossible to attend to your child imeadiatly every single time, even the first one, i mean, you could be in the bath or on the loo,

i didnt have to leave jack to cry, he was an extremely content baby, now hes a toddler, its another story, and some nights tantrums last several hours, i leave him, i know he is safe, and if me or roo are with him he lashes out, when left alone he lays in bed screams it out and is fine in minutes, i have a video monitor and watch his every move from outside the door.

lola on the other hand, was an extremely needy baby, and at 16mnths had never ever slept in a cot or a room alone, so we did tough love, first night she cried for 10minutes with me going in every 2mins to pat her and say, sleep now, second night she went to bed like a lamb,

id rather not do it, i cry more than them, but i waited until they were talking age and it worked

• Options

What I mean is I don't like a very young baby being left to cry.  Jack is now 15 months, and I still don't like to leave him cry during the night, but if he's having a little yantrum during the day, then I'll let him cry. 

As children get older, they can deal with it better, but a small baby can't - and is not doing it just for attention.

• Options
    The thing is that in the real world this happens at times. As much as a mum wants to be with her baby or keep an eye on him/her 60mins each hour, she can't! A baby learns to deal with that and perhaps stress is a natural thing to learn and experience from that age.

Having said that, I wouldn't prolong it or wilfully teach it as a lesson though. You return to your baby as soon as possible, while he/she safely and securely waits for you albeit under stress!