Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Myleene Klass takes on the role of a midwife

Replies

• Options
    As someone who has spent many years trying to get into midwifery I find the comments Myleene made in the paper the other day very frustrating:

She said that more women should be encouraged to become midwives as there were so few. The spaces on midwifery degree courses are pretty minimal for the amount of students who apply and even before you apply there is alot of preparation to be done (i am just about to start an access to higher education course before I can even apply to the uni itself and I also need relevant care experience too).

The most annoying thing is that this is the 2nd celebrity to be allowed onto a maternity unit to 'experience' the role of the midwife but there's so many potential midwifery students out there who arent able/allowed to!

I look forward to watching it though as Myleene is lovely - just would be nice to highlight the fact they need more uni places so we can all get stuck in there and help!!
  • Options
    I worked on a labour ward for nearly 2 years...and yes its lovely to see a baby come into the world...but what isn't seen is how utterly stressful it can be, in theatre, and not all babies survive...the hospital i was at was so under staffed there were midwifes running between three labouring women...What is seen is not reality at all...like the one Amanda Holden did....what a joke...shame its not like that..
  • Options
    Here Here, well said. I was thinking the same think myself. I am also starting my Access Course and need experience before going onto train at Uni to become a Midwife. It is VERY popular and there are thousands of people wanted to train with very few place available. Being short staffed should not be a problem!!
  • Options
    Oh, I hope I get to see this on the TV. I love to watch anything to do with babies, as I am still (and probably always will be) broody. (although I think my 4 will do).