Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Mum stopped from buying Christmas crackers in case her 6-year-old got hurt

Replies

• Options
    Yet again health and safety is being blamed when this is some individual's over zealous approach and misinterpretation of the law.

There is no such new health and safety law and no such restriction. I complained to my local M&S store a couple of years ago when they displayed a sign relating to the Explosives Act and pointed out that if they were really concerned at applying to Christmas Crackers a law intended to keep fireworks out of the hands of children, they ought to be keeping them in a fireproof cabinet.

A simple and quick risk assessment comprising 'how much explosive is contained within and what harm might it cause' would determine the precautions needed ie none. The law itself requires 'common sense' in remarkably short supply
  • Options
    This was my daughter and myself.

I wasn't told that they wouldn't sell me them incase tia got hurt, the lady actually told me that as tia was under 16 that she couldn't be seen to accept the crackers from Tia as she as under the age of 16, and that explosives are not to be sold to under16's as it's illegal