Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Daily bathing may increase your baby's eczema risk, say skin experts

Replies

• Options
    All of my daughters and I suffer with eczema, soap free bath additives and hard or soft water make no difference, I get out of the shower or bath and my skin is tight and uncomfortable, same with my daughters and have to cover myself and them in emoillent creams and my eldest daughter and I often have to have steriod creams to control flare ups too. We have seen dermatologists and followed their advice to the letter but the thing that works best for us all was discovered by accident when following the c-section birth of my second daughter I couldn't physically bath my eldest.

She had a severe flare up at the time and within 3 weeks it had cleared up completely. Since then I have avoided bathing them all more than once a week when they have their hair washed.

Bath time is not a part of our daily routine but my daughters are all as clean and presentable as their friends who are bathed every night. It has meant I get tears from the younger two for much longer than my friends do before they are happy to sit in the bath but I can get all 3 of my girls bathed in the same time as my niece takes alone playing in the bath and more importantly their eczema is generally under control.
  • Options

My eldest son has eczema,and I'm afraid a consultant told me not to bath him regularly,perhaps twice a week,he's perfectly clean,and enjoys his baths probably a lot more now. We decided as his brother had a 25% chance higher of having ezcema we'd do the same with him.

It's a shame,because children love a splash but I'd rather a couple of baths per week than a nasty flare up. I'm due Tues,this baby wont have ''regular baths'' either-just in case!!!!

• Options

my oldest used to have really bad flare ups when he was really smal, and at the time we werent advised to not bath him every day.we were given two lots of creams, and bath oil, and told to do as we were doing.  It wasnt until my duaghter was born that they told us not to bath the kids daily.  when i think of how bad Connors face was for his first xmas-I really could cry!  it was just so red and raw.  i wish we had been told sooner.

• Options
    Our little boy has had severe eczema since he was a baby and one of his docs told us to bath him more frequently to add moisture back into his skin which I thought was weird. I think what he meant was that by creating a moist layer then blocking it in with oil would help. Either way - we actually do limit bath time and we never use soap that is not totally natural and organic. The very best thing that we have ever done for him has been to give him a children's chewable probiotic called Belly Boost. He hardly has any eczema since he started taking it and we are so thankful. Oh and olive oil is wonderful on the skinw hen our son gets out of a bath. Pure, natural and non-irritating.
  • Options
    I bath my girls twice per week and twice they get a shower. Because one of them had and eczema since she was a baby and our family doctor said that daily bathing can to a harm.

I must say it helps. And also a special soap with sea salt. That does miracles! I also add a special sea salt to their bath. Since then - no eczema in our family.
  • Options
    Well that's scary. Perhaps using a chemical free soap could help? I wonder if hard/soft water plays in at all.