Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Concern over sex books for children as young as five

Replies

• Options
    I agree, Corrine. sex is just about the last thing that a five year old needs to know about. They're barely out of nappies for heaven's sake! It is really not appropriate at that age. Ok so if a young child asks where babies come from or why boys are different to girls then you explain in whatever way you feel is appropriate but there is no need to go into vast detail.

At that age they won't really understand and it can only be a matter of time before some poor child will be virtually raped by a classmate because 'they were only trying out what they had been taught at school and what they had seen in a book'.

Sex education should be kept firmly out of the classroom until the child is at least 13 years old. No wonder there are so many underage pregnancies. Why can't we just let children be children?
  • Options

I don't think they need any books about it at that age.As long as they know their body parts in general,not specifically sexually, and what they're for  that's all they need to know.It's not something that enters the thoughts of many a five year old unless someone put that thought there.By senior school age,of course they'll be discussing it with their friends,I know we did lots of  did you know,noway that's so gross,can't be true,and not my parents type discussions,and from evesdropping on my own kids they're doing the same,and there needs to be some kind of education because the children won't get it right,but this is going too far and too young.

Let them find out in their own time in their own way,and answer questions as they come from the child.

Sexual positions is something you work out yourself with your partner as an adult in a healthy relationship.

Hope it's one of those cases of the media getting hold of a story and making it sound a lot worse than it is,because it's certainly not something I'd be happy my children's school introducing them too.

• Options
    I agree with the comments here so far. I think 5 years old is way way too young. I also think it's taking away from parents, a fundamental parenting responsibility as to what their very young children are made aware of/exposed to. There are various parenting styles as to how questions about body parts are answered, or the inevitable how did the baby get in the lady's tummy? We should still be able to choose according to our individual family values, and our child's age, emotional maturity and personality, as to how we respond AND WHEN. We censor what they watch on TV, see in magazines, etc. to shield them from images and behaviour that has no place in their small minds and worlds.

I would be horrified if in 2 years time my son is told about sex in any format, he doesn't need to know. I would be extremely disturbed if that included sexual positions and prostitution. As someone's already said, WHY on earth would he need to know that? Our children are sexualised at earlier and earlier ages, there's been much discussion about that in recent months and a report, then this comes along flying in the face of all that discussion, agreement and report.

There has to be a balance between educating youngsters about their bodies so they can understand them and have factual information as they grow up and become more aware about healthy sexual relationships - I agree. I do not think however that they should be ENCOURAGED to be active/pursuing sex even in senior school. They have a lifetime to find out about all that stuff, and childhood is getting ever shorter. I agree though with a previous comment that it's part of life at an older age, and older children are desperately trying to be cool, appear older, appear not to be a child and talking about sex, etc. That's always been the case. It's information at the appropriate age though, and primary age school children age is just way too early. If parents want to start some foundations in ways/with language that's suitable for small children, that's their right, just as we choose how to explain going to the toilet and what names we use for the body parts responsible and what we call whatever comes out. For teachers to give them and discuss explicit material with adult terminology to explain the sexual act is not helpful or appropriate for primary age children.

Not only is it in my opinion harmful for young children to be seeing such material, but it would be undermining parents and families if this really did reach our schools.
  • Options
    WHY!

why does a 5 year old need to know sexual positions umong other things?!?

the law is sex at 16. so surely showing something from 5-11 is just opening their eyes even more to it?!?

I think 14-15 is ok to teach about sex but not positons!

sex is natural and easily figured out! they managed years and years ago when no one "talked" bout it!