Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Baby walkers are dangerous, warn doctors

Replies

• Options
    We used a bouncer in our daughters early years, but didn't use a walker as we didn't see the point. Not from a safety point of view, it just seemed pointless and we didn't think they helped her strengthen her legs more than crawling did.

She was pulling herself up to a standing position from about 7 months and was taking her first steps at around 8 months.

She is now confident on her feet and will happily toddle along for minutes on end. If [when] she falls over, she just gets back up again and carries on as if nothing happened.

Her first birthday is next month.
  • Options
    My son used a baby walker and he was walking unaided by 10 and 1/2 months so it didnt delay his ability to walk. My second son also used a walker and was walking at 12 months. Both were fully supervised when in the walker and never ever had any accidents.
  • Options
    We used a baby walker as we have a mad dog and preferred him to be in the walker to crawling all the time, plus it stopped him getting to certain objects, I think like anything - in moderations.

Harry was walking just after his first birthday and cruising for some time before that.
  • Options
    I have 4 children My eldest had a walker and did not start walking until she was 14 months My others were all working before 10 months and did not have the use of a walker, so this news does not surprise me. I was a young mum with my first (21) and I admit I did make heavy use of her walker at the time - no accidents occured though
  • Options
    As long as a child is supervised and use of the baby walker is not excessive (i'd say 15-20 mins per day maximum) then surely no harm should arise? I used a baby walker with my daughter who was walking at 13 months, and cruising and crawling long before.