Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Teaching good manners and social skills to your toddler

Replies

• Options

I'm a huge fan of teaching children good manners from the start. It's something my parents always did with me and it's much nicer to hear children saying please and thank you without their parents telling them to say it. I do get quite annoyed with a lot of cartoons that seem to have a message of how to resolve squabbling etc rather then showing the characters as being well behaved from the off. I'm going to be having a look out for this book. Mia is very good saying please and thank you but it never hurts to keep message of manners. I'd love to see kids books about not swearing but it might be a hard one to cover. I heard a 4 year old at the doctors the other day use the 'F' word. I was so shocked and his mum told me she doesn't know where he gets it from. I sure do. That's all the boys dad was saying when they were talking. Terrible. I'm off now to go track down this book.

• Options
    Looking for a fun way to teach your children manners? Check out my award winning game "Blunders." It was featured on the Today Show as Kathie Lee's "favorite thing!"

I am on Twitter as well @BlundersMania where I offer daily manners tips!
  • Options
    I'm so happy this week. One of my biggest peeves is shoving, even more so when it's adults. Mia now says 'exgoose me' when she wants you atention or to get past. It is so cute and I'm very proud of her. Ava still shoves but she is one and will be learning soon.
  • Options
    If your polite and have good manners so will your children, it common sense! I've always taught mine 'ta' from before there first word and its always worked for me, we always get comments on how well mannered my 8 yr old daughter is.
  • Options

It’s important to learn good manners early. It is helpful to teach your children the benefits of consideration for others and being polite. 

The repetitive use of the phrase “What is the magic word?” has children answering “Please”!