Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Testing for postnatal depression: Edinburgh Scale Test

Replies

• Options

Is there a way to use meditation or some other alternative program for it.I am  24 pregnent first time and no one had that in my family, but you never knows where it starts.So what are first simptomes Luan?

• Options
    Yes, I completely agree with Luan about telling someone early. I mentioned to my health visitor and husband that I felt my daughter wasn't mine and I was always waiting for someone to pick her up. Once I spoke to them, I got the help I needed but it has been hard on both of us. Looking back, it started way before that while I was pregnant- me with a bump, was how I described myself and had to force myself to smile when people started to gush about how wonderful pregnancy was. The first step is being brave enough to tell someone how you really feeling.
  • Options

I am feeling blue and away too much sensitive, I think I will ask for help.

• Options
    Don't suffer unnecessarily, I went undiagnosed for nearly 4 yrs and by the time someone finally realised what was wrong I was pretty ill indeed. I filled in the questionaire but not really all that truthfully (not a great idea folks!) I expected that I should feel low, being severely sleep deprived and trying to get over a c-section, my illness started small and slowly grew over time. Don't let this happen to you there is no need and no shame, get the help you need because it makes an unbelieveable amount of difference to you life.
  • Options

Hi im new to this, im a young mum of two girls i think i started suffering with PND half way though my second pregnancy and she is now 18 months old, ive been to my doctor and told him about it he made me fill in a few questions and then said he would give me some pills to help it, he said they would take at least 6months before i would notice they are working! After a few weeks i went from feeling up and down everyday to feeling numb, they just made me feel worse to the point i cant leave my house on my own and i havent for over a year, i cant talk to people on the phone and i just feel so tired all the time, and my doctor dosnt seem to care just gives me more pills! can you please tell what i can do to get some help!

Thank you image

• Options

Hi Hayleigh,

Go and see your doctor again and make a list of what you want to say if you need to.  When I had PND I struggled to remember what I wanted to say as I felt stupid saying it at the time and regretted it after.

I had cognative behavioural therapy over the phone to fit in with my 3 young children and managed to avoid needing the tablets as my doctor said it wouldn't help in the long term not to deal with the issues I had of not feeling supported and I wasn't keen on taking anything whilst breastfeeding, although I was told it would take a 6-12 weeks for them to work.

Have you told your friends and family how you are feeling?  None of my close friends have families yet and my eldest is now 5.  I found it hard at first but then my family and close friends made more effort to make sure I had someone to speak to or to help me out with the girls and housework.  If you can get help take it!  I had the 13yr old from across the road asking if they could help for Guides badges and they spent the entire summer playing in my back garden with the girls and didn't want paying, they do a bit of babysitting now they are old enough.

2 years on I still have days when everything feels like its too much, especially now I'm back at work and feel like I have 3 full time jobs anyway!  I try and make sure I get an early night and time to relax. 

Hope you feel better soon! xx

• Options
    After suffering with PND with my first child, i completed an Edinburgh Test, but as above, not all people will tell the truth. I feel that more awareness needs to be raised, so that mothers realise that they don't have to be ashamed when they're suffering and they won't have their child(ren) taken away from them. It needs to be made more aware that by admitting you're depressed and not coping is the sensible, responsible thing to do. I recovered from PND with help from my doctors and health visitor, 3 and a half years on I'm expecting my 2nd child and already have my PND plan in place with my midwife and doctors. If you are a mum reading this and you think you might be suffering from PND, please speak up to someone and get some help.