Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: Is being an older parent unfair on children?

Replies

• Options
    My little boy will be 1 in 2 weeks time, I'm fit, healthy and love being a new mum at 43 (42 when i gave birth). I also have a 24 yr old son. It was never the right time to have another baby after my first relationship broke down. but am so happy now, my partner and I weren't planning a baby but it happened. I think its peoples personal choice as to when they feel the time is right for them to have children and if it happens naturally then thats great. same as Charmaine though don't agree with ivf for mothers past menopause.
  • Options
    I waited for the right man before starting a family, then faced infertility combined with recurrent miscarriage so yes, my children WILL have an older mother. Not everyone gets a choice. I can see his point for those who deliberately choose to wait to start a family, but the media were never going to report this story in a balanced way.
  • Options
    I am not a parent yet. I am a 20 year old who is so worried about the constant battle between career and children. My plan was always to hopefully already have my first kid by the time I am 27 but with my choice of career this has been pushed back to my 30s and this scares me, but really what am i supposed to do? Have my kids when I can't finacally support them or wait until I am older when I can? Sometimes waiting is smarter
  • Options
    I would have loved to have had harry when I was 30 and hopefully more children after - however mother nature decided that wasnt to be! Took me five years to fall pregnant with Harry and I am not sure we will be able to have any more, I am not sure I want to be pregant past fourty - personal preference - energey levels & health worries etc - I am 39 in february so looks like he may be an only child.

I am not sure I agree with people using fertility treatments to get pregnant in their 50s though!