Forum home Article comments
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Talkback: 30 hours of free childcare - will my child get it?

Replies

• Options
    Just need to point out that entitlement is not as clear cut as you describe. Entitlement begins on the first day of the term after the child has turned 3. This may mean up to a 5 month wait for children born in April who will have to wait until September.
  • Options
    My daughter will be 4 in July and she will be attending reception at school but also a private childcare after school . Can I use some of the 30hrs towards my private childcare bill
  • Options
    Or do the the school

Take the 30hrs as they take all of the 15hrs currently
  • Options
    Will my 3 year old get the 30 hours free if I am on maternity leave when it starts? but I do usually work 16 hours
  • Options
    Can anyone answer this at all my childminder is going to apply for the allowance however we are meant to be moving. So my child is going to be going to nursery, can i change who gets the allowance or is it best for me to do it myself.? Also can it be split too?
  • Options
    Hi,

I already have two children and thinking of a third. My child would be born after April 2017. As I understand that the third child will not get child tax credit. However once they turn two years and if I qualify would they still get the 15 hours government funding and then 30 hours later in life. Or is the government completely stopping the free government educational fund to the third child. I hope you can help.
  • Options
    I'm a single parent working full time, does anyone know if getting 30 free hours of childcare, will mean my tax credits will reduce?
  • Options

Hi everyone, thank you for posting these questions - they are all really interesting and we would love to eventually add them to our article. But, as we're sure you already know, this is a really complicated topic, so trying to get the right answers may take us a little while, Please do bear with us while we investigate further and try to answer your questions. 

• Options
    Ho my partners x says she needs his ni number for preschool reg for his daughter is this correct ( she is living with new partner)
  • Options
    I am a prospective single adopter and I trying to find out more about the new thirty hours funding.

I work term time only and after adoption leave I plan on working 25-30 hours as I only work term time only does that mean I can't receive it.

I wondered if I multiplied my hours by my weeks worked per year and then divided it by the year??

I am confused ??
  • Options
    This is great for those who are eligible. But for those who have younger children like me, my boy is only 2 so i am only entitled to 15 hours. Which is obvs great but not so great when i need to do more hours to afford to live somewhere near comfortable.

I hope they change this to benefit those with younger children too.
  • Options
    Am i right in thinking that a couple earning £99,000 each will be entitled but a couple earning £100,000 + £115 a week won't?
  • Options
    I am planning on going back to work in September. My child turn 3 in June. Therefore will be going to Nursery in September. How long do you need to be in employment before you qualify for the 30 hours?
  • Options
    Hi,

I work 16 hours per week at £7.83 per hour but term time only. I earn £125 per week but as I pay a little into a pension scheme and don't work in the holidays, my weekly amount is reduced slightly and spread out over the year, So I earn around £100 per week 52 weeks of the year, but £125 per week 39 weeks of the year.

I only took the job last year as I was told by my advisor at the job centre I would get the 30 hours when its rolled out (which my daughter needs to do for me to work, as I work anywhere between 10 and 2, and the preschool sessions are 9-12 and 12-3) but now I am really unsure.

Am I eligible for the 30 hours?
  • Options
    I have just found out we will be charged over £ 20 a day even though we will use less than 30 hours per week term time only. This is because the nursery minimum session is 5 hours but only 3will be funded and for a full day it's 7.30 to 18.00 but only 6 funded hours. Does anyone know if they can do this?
  • Options
    Hello, do you have to take the full 30 hours or can you take say 20? I need 2 full days a week which adds up to 20 hours at the nursery. I asked there but she wasn't sure how any of it was going to work.
  • Options
    My 3 yr old is at nursery and I have applied online. Initially I put in the wrong year of my husband being self employed and it could not link him with his UTR number and declined our 30 hr application. I went back in and amended the date and it seemed to recognise it and then said they were considering our application and to keep an eye on secure messages to get my results of their decision. Its been 7 days now and still I've heard nothing. We meet all the criteria re hours and amount earnt a week and we're both 16 hrs. The nursery say I'm supposed to provide a reference number to them so they know we've been offered this though the scheme. How long does this take to come through only other mums apparently say they got theirs straight away? Feeling really nervous. Anyone in a ssimilar position or know how long it takes to come through? TIA xx
  • Options
    My nursery have decided to offer the entitlement but have specified hours. My son currently attends 3 afternoon sessions a week at a cost of £33.50 a session (13:00-18:30) as I work 2-6 everyday. Can they do this as I was hoping the hours would cover afternoon session costs as I am due again in 3 weeks so will have to pay for little ones nursery too!

30 hours is term time only (38 weeks)this equates to 1140 hours per year.

· We will only be offering stretched funded entitlement. Therefore, over 52 weeks of the year this equates to 22 hours per week

· This will be offered between the hours of 09:00 – 11:45 and 13:45 – 16:30, therefore, blocks of 2.75 hours. Your child will need to attend eight sessions to claim the full entitlement
  • Options
    I have a 3 year old that I want to start nursery 30 hours a week. but currently now working as I'm looking after my 1 year old and my 2 year old is in nursery 15 hours a week so the rest of the time I'm looking after her. My husband is working but we do receive a small top up of benefits.

What options do I have?
  • Options
    * not working