Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

ttc with PCOS

Me and my partner have been trying to get pregnant since june 2008, and following a few different problems I went to my GP who reffered me for an ultrasound of my pelvis to 'put my mind at rest' that everything was ok.

The results have shown that I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, with the cysts on one of my ovaries. She said that it will only reduce my chance of conceiving by 20%, but it's still worried.

Was just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat or if anyone can offer any adivce or help

Replies

• Options

I was told that they though I had PCOS and would need help getting pregnant but now have 2 healthy babies!! Both concieved naturally.

I know of a local lady who has PCOS and had triplets - naturally!!! image

I guess it depends how serious the PCOS is!!!

Good Luck!!!

• Options
    i know a women now nearly 40 tired getting pregnant for 18years with pcos was told there was no hope and has a beautiful healthy 2yr old girl, conceived totally naturally!
  • Options
    hey there hun, sorry you have had a bit of trouble ttc, it can be really tough. It took me a while but here i am 32 weeks pregnant now! I hope that helps give you some hope. I have no personal experience of PCOS but you might want to check this out http://my.bounty.com/forums/post/136/1380688/1/2/1/The-PCOS-Club-Ladies!!!.htm - a club for ladies with PCOS - i really hope it helps you out. Very best of luck to you hun xxxx
  • Options

Hi Gracie, I suppose I'm in the same boat as you as well. We have been trying for no.2 since Oct 2007 and with no luck as yet. I also found out via ultrasound that I have one Polycystic ovary and one healthy ovary, but consultant at fertility clinic has told me that it shouldn't affect my chances of getting pregnant; Still trying 17mths down the line!!!

It is very had to keep positive when ttc, especially when it takes longer than you thought it would. I used to get really upset until recently that there was something really wrong as was taking too long and everyone around us was gettting pregnant so easily.

I now try not to think about it so much, even though I know it is hard not to when you are living through it. I just think to myself, even though I may have some fertility problems, if it's meant to be it will be. There are so many women out there with worse problems and then a miracle happens and they conceive.

Try to do some research on the net to understand issues you have and try to find positive outcomes to help you. Would like to stay in touch if you like as it is nice to talk to someone who understands what you are going through.

All the best and wishing you luck in the spring months ahead which is meant to be the time of renewal and birth. So you never know...

Anne xxx

• Options

Thanks for all the replies =]

From what i've been reading it's still possible for me to get pregnant, it's just going to take a bit longer. I was quite worried about it at first because my GP basically told me I have it, and then printed out a 5 page document about it.. which I think was aimed at the more serious side of the condition so it made me worry more than I should.

Both the GP and everywhere i've been reading have said that getting to a better weight would help, but she didn't say what my ideal weight should be and a healthy way of doing. I obviously don't want to do crash dieting because I want to stay healthy and if I do conceive then I don't want to harm the baby.

Anne1, how long did it take you to conceive first time?

Gracie xx

• Options

Hi Gracie, first time took us 9 months actually which I didn't think was too long I suppose. Not sure why it's taking so long this time, wish I knew but just have to keep going and hope it will happen one day soon, as we already have had one healthy child 3 years ago.

Don't think you need to to drastic dieting. Just try to eat healthy as possible. The odd biscuit, chocolate bar or take away won't do any harm if you have a balanced diet.

Fingers crossed for you both, best regards

Anne xx

• Options

Ok, I've just realised my last period was the 24th January. Not sure if I should be getting my hopes up or not, as i'm not sure if i've ever been this long inbetween. Any ideas?

Grace xx