Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A little advice needed, just been diagnosed with PCOS

hi all, I'm 22 almost 23 and I've very recently been diagnosed with PCOS. Which was a massive shock to me, I went for a ultra sound except ended up having to have an internal scan as I hadnt drank enough water and they couldn't see. In turn this showed I had multiple cysts on my ovaries.

when my doctor told me I was in shock and I've been devastasted. But also haven't really been given much info either just a sheet of paper. I'm being referred to a gynaecologist/fertility as me and my partner had just started trying. 

I dont have any of the symptoms of PCOS, and before contraception I always had regular but very heavy periods since coming off the depo and it running out in Feb I have had one at the end of March and one at the end of April, although that was particualry heavy. 

Just so confused at the minute and just need a little info/guidance what's normal and what to do ect off someone who has been in my position. Thank you in advance ☺️

Replies

• Options

Hey There Ad,

I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 14 (At that age you don't think about kids or the future) I too wasn't give much info, but was told it would be very difficult if not almost impossible for me to conceive a child as I have a highly severe case. Well let me tell you doctors are wrong! I'm now 30 and I'm excited to say I'm 8weeks pregnant and counting! after almost 3years trying.

My cycle was all over the place, I'd miss months and then be on for 2 weeks and well...my cycle was a mess, as was I. There are things you can do to help with this condition, which in turn will help with your cycle. Cut back on sugar (sugar free or diabetic) drinks and chocolates can help for the sweet tooth, it helped me but everyone is different. If your a smoker, give up, this can make things worse. Exercise is key, yoga, Tai Chi, swimming and walking.

Speak to your doctor about putting you on Hormonal contraception, this will help regulate your cycle and reduce things like acne, cramps and may help clear up some of the effect PCOS has on your body.

One of my best friends has had this condition for a few years and she was in a similar boat to you. Her doctor gave her an online site called www.PCOSnutrition.com she says its very help for a lot of things.

I will also say Juice Plus is very good for PCOS sufferers. I bloomed to 14stone, I'm only 5ft 2 but this was due to the effects PCOS has on my weight, after using this I dropped the weight and became pregnant!

I hope this is helpful for you. Best of Luck x

• Options

hey sanguin, 

yeah we have only been trying for three months which isn't long at all but having just found this out I just felt so down about it.

yeah I've looked a bit into medincines thinking of asking about metaform when I get my appointment through, which I hope is soon. 

Well ive never struggled with my weight aways been an 8/10 going between them although this may have been because I was on contraception and might change now. But I don't have a great diet to be honest so that's definitely something I could look at. thanks for the sight.

i actually know someone who sells juice plus and they put it on for pregnant women didnt think about using it when ttc, might have to look in to some of the capsules.

yeah it has helped thank you, it was just such a shock and like I said haven't been trying long although having been told that just felt hopeless and I want told much at all just that my doc would refer me, so thank you ☺️

X