Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Hi G/C from TTC what are symptoms/signs of PCOS??

Hi

G/C from TTC can anyone tell me what the symptoms/signs are for PCOS?

At the moment my cycles have been getting longer i.e. 35, 40 and currently 45 days but i have been doing OPK's at first I was using FR and then started using CBD, I got a smiley on CBD but no sure if that means you will defo ov.

Am just wondering why my cycles are getting longer? I havent had any tests done or anything so any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

xx

Replies

• Options
    hiya sparkling diamond, im G/C from TTC too, im also worried im not OV atall, ive had AF every 12-13 days for the last 2 months? sorry for G/C sparkling diamond, but i had the same question as u really, just wasnt sure how to word it image xxxxx
  • Options
    Hi,

I'll be honest with you, OV sticks need to be taken with a pinch of salt when you have PCOS.
    I have PCO rather then PCOS which is basically the cysty ovaries and not the other bits that go with the syndrome, and I am currently on Clomid. I have been using OV sticks (CBD ones) and a CBFM and last cycle, I got a smiley and then x2 peaks, which I have never had in previous cycles. So I thought I had finally OV'd, but when my blood results came back it showed no OV.

I hope you don't think I am being negative, but really the only way you will know if you have OV'd is by having 21day progesterone blood tests.
    Go and see your Dr hun and tell him your concerns.
    Also though, if you are having AF's then thats got to be a good sign.

Love TW xx
  • Options
    No bother hun g/c away it is frustrating *me*i snt it.

TW - what is the 21 day progesterone blood tests? sorry to sound vague. Am still bleeding when I go to toilet just a bit of pink discharge so am defo going to be going to docs and hopefully they will do something about it as now I have been bleeding since last Monday and 7 days is a long time to have AF if thats what it is.

Thanks TW for replying xx
  • Options
    Hey Sparkling Diamond,

Well you might already know but i was diagnosed with PCOS about 7wks ago. My cycle was between 27-35 days long. After a year of trying I had a blood test and it proved I have PCOS.

I did ovulation tests before I found out about my PCOS and I got a positive every month, I explained it to my DR who said the body can send out the hormons of ovulation but not actually ovulate.

If your worried go get a blood test done... Its better knowing then wasting time trying, when with help you could have already been pregnant.

Hope this helps.. good luck hun

karina xx
  • Options
    Hi SD,

No prob hun, its a mind field of information when it comes to TTC, OV & AF.
    But basically, the purpose of 21 day bloods is that, when you OV the "Corpus Lutum" which is the follicle that releases the egg produces Progesterone, hence why your reading would be higher after OV.
    Not all people have a dead on 28 days cycle, I myself am one of those people, so I have 2 blood tests a month, one day 21 & one day 28, as my cycles can be anything up to 42 days......
    The Doc can then determined from the results if you have OV'd - you need a reading of around 30 or over to indicate OV.

I hope that helps, and hasn't just blinded you with science..? image
    Get yourself down the Doc's hun it will put your mind at rest

Love TW xxx
  • Options
    TW - interesting info thanks for sharing!

From what I know about PCOS it is different for different sufferers. I had very erratic AFs as a teenager so was put on the pill. Since coming off the pill 8 months ago I've had one AF!! I think it is like this for some PCOS ladies while others have regular but long cycles, some have 'normal' cycles while others have no AF at all.
    Other symptoms for me are ovarian cysts, oily skin (I control breakouts reasonably well with PanOxyl aquagel - fantastic stuff that can be bought over the counter but beware - it dyes your clothes - that's how strong it is!!), more than average sweating, and I had hot flushes whilst on the pill but that seems to be much better now. I also tend to put weight on around my middle rather than hips and bum which is typical of PCOS - but I try my best to keep this down with lots and lots of exercise!! Other symptoms that seem to be very common are excess weight and excess hair or hair loss.
    I hope that helps! But like the others say, get to that doctor and find out for real. Get those ovaries scanned!
    Good luck xx
  • Options
    Hi SD & Me,

I had an appointment with my consultant this week who confirmed my PCOS. She said that it's basically a spectrum, on the lowest scale of things, people can have afs and there might be issues (you can have a period without actually ovulating or you might have irregular cycles) ranging all the way up to no AFs, high bmi, and excessive hair etc. So pco/s is different for everyone.

I don't particularly have the most obvious signs of pcos and I think the male gp I originally saw was dismissive because I wasn't overweight etc. It took a 3rd appointment and seeing a female gp to be sent for tests. PCOS is diagnosed through a day 2 or 3 blood test and an ultrasound of your ovaries.

I went to the doctors because I came off the pill in Feb 09 and have only had 1 af since which was in June 09. I've since realised that you're periods on the pill aren't 'real' so to speak, you have a withdrawl bleed which means you basically bleed because of a drop in hormones and not because your body has sent a signal to. My af's were fine before the pill, just fairly heavy but perhaps I wasn't always ovulating- you'd never know I guess.

Other than no afs my bmi is normal, I get breakouts on my chin but that's about it and I wouldn't say I'm particularly hairy. However, when I came off the pill I noticed I was losing a lot of hair in the shower- I couldn't notice any difference in my hair but I was clogiging up the shower every day. that is a sign of pcos and there are other less common ones too.

Overall, if it hadn't been for no af's and my scans and blood tests I would never have known I had pcos and neither would the doctors. I'm not saying that to frighten you but you need to be pushy with your dotors or get a 2nd opinion as I'm no doctor, but it does sound like you are having issues. I don't know your situation, but they may act quicker if you say you've been trying for longer or if you are over 30 but there are loads of things they can do. Again, I have only been 'officially' trying for 9 months so I worried they wouldn't take me seriously or treat me but if there are issues in your cycle that are preventing you ovulating etc or from physically being able to get pregnant they need to be sorted.

Good luck and let us know how you get on or if you have any more questions xxx

• Options
    hi at my fertility consultant before getting pregnant (the month before starting clomid so there is hope!) the consultant said i had pcos. i am not typical either. my cycles range from 32 days to 62 days and i used a cbfm which basically gave me random results. it gave + when i clearly couldnt have ov'd. the most accurate i found was the ebay cheapie ov sticks. one gave me a positive and 11 days later i had a faint bfp, followed 81/2 months later by a baby girl. you can always go to your doctor and ask to see the menstrual abnormalities clinic people, which is at my hospital is the same as the feritlity clinic so it was my docs way of getting me seen quicker.
  • Options
    BTW, I forgot to say that ovulation kits and cbfm aren't always reliable with pcos. They mainly work by detecting a surge in LH (the hormone that makes your ovaries release an agg) but pcos usually means you have excessive LH in the first place so that could confuse the readings- for that reason I've decided not to use cbfm for now xx
  • Options
    thanks for all the info girls! hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi all

I forgot I posted on here well update since I posted.

I am having tests done with the docs, I have an ultrasound scan next friday which I just got through the post today and have had my progesterone blood done on CD35 of this months cycle, I have to have another 2 months done and then when I get af I have to have CD1-5 blood done where they are testing for everything. I have to fast for that test and not eat or drink anything from 9pm the night before only drink water.

I will keep you all updated.

Thanks for the info

xx