Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Going for the tests

Hi ladies,

I hope you are all doing well. I went to the docs today, and he is sending me for a blood test and scan for PCOS. He said I need to have a blood test on CD5, does that sound right? Is that when you all had blood tests? I am only on CD22 and my last cycle was 81 days, so it could be a while before
I get to have it!

So hopefully soon I will know what I am up against!! Lots of baby dust to all xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hello Magpie - how are you doing? Feeling really crappy about the whole ttc thing this week. Came off BCP on 2nd August and have had 1 lousy period. Ra! First cycle was 150 days and now I'm on CD66. How have your cycles been? It sucks so much having these stupid cycles, huh?! Hope you have a good one this time round.
    Baby dust xx
  • Options
    Hi Magpie,
    Yes that sounds right they usuaally send you between day 2 and 5 to check out your hormones. Don't worry too much a bout the pcos scan it sounds awful but was nowhere near as bad as I'd anticipated it just gave me af pains afterwards. If you end up waiting for ages again maybe enuire with your doctor as there is a tablet they can give you to bring on a false af- but having said that I think they gave it to me because I was on day 220 or something ridiculous like that.

Good luck -hope everything goes well and you get some answers to move you closer to your bfp xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies,

Sorry to hear you have been feeling down Mrs Robson, I hope you are feeling better today. I know exactly how you feel, I have been quite weepy this week, two pregnancy annoucements on facebook have left me feeling rather useless! And I had a good cry at 'one born every minute' with the two girls who accidently got pregnant!!

I have only been trying for 6 months, but its facing up to the fact that something is probably wrong, and that it will probably take longer than everyone else, has made me feel really crappy too. I have only had two periods since I came off the pill, and am now on cd 25 with no sign of ovulation approaching. Rubbish! As you have been diagnosed, what is the next step for you now?

Thanks for the info and support Hope09, I was hoping it would be an external scan but I got the refferal letter through today and of course it is internal! But you have reassured me that it will be fine. How are things going for you, are the docs helping you?

Hugs and babydust girls xxx
  • Options
    Hey Magpie,

Just wanted to say my gynae said it is better to have an internal as so much more accurate. I was v worried about mine but found it only a bit uncomfy (no worse than a smear). And after the scan it is good to know you have a better picture of what's happening.

Let us know how you do with the tests.

Bx
  • Options
    Well I have been put on metformin but I've been on it for 2 months now and still now AF. Been thinking and discussing with DH what to do now.....
    We were initially gonna go straight for a private consultation but my DH's job situation has become unstable so we thought we'd leave that until we know what's going on. But now I just really wanna do something so we'll see....... Could really just do with a holiday and just forget all about it for a bit but can't go cos of job situation. Ra!!!
    NHS route I've been told that after 12 months 'trying' (not that there's anything to try with!!) I can be referred and start treatment with clomid. Just trying to decide if we should just wait or not....
    What do you think you;'re going to do?
    H xx
  • Options
    Mrs Robson- is that what they've said. I've only been officially 'trying' since August despite coming off the pill last feb and only having 1 af. I can't believe they've said that to you. It frustrates me how they still want to apply the regular guidelines and questions when you aren't having any af's. I'm hoping to get clomid in a fortnight and I am really going to push for it if that's the line the nhs have taken with you. Isn't it ridiculous! You must feel so frustrated xxx
  • Options
    Mrs R. Just to add to this I've been doing a bit of reading up on clomid and the guidelines as I was surpised the waiting 12 months thing still applied. Apparently clomid is mean to treat 'ovulatary failure or disfunction' if it has been demonstrated- so I'm assuming that's through blood tests and scans. Perhaps it migh be worth trying to get another appointment as I think other people have been given it in your position- that said it might be a postode thing xxx
  • Options
    Hi again ladies,

Thanks for your reassurance BeeB, MrsRobson and Hope10. I had my scan this morning and you were right, the scan itself was absolutely fine. Unfortunately though the nurse said it is PCOS, so I guess I am officially joining you!

She didn't really say much though, just that my uterus is healthy but I do have PCOS. Can they tell that just from the scan? I wish I had asked a few questions, but I didn't want to cry!! She said the doctor would advise me further, but the doc said I should book an appointment with him once I have had the blood test on CD5 as well, but I am on CD 54 and haven't ovulated, so who knows how long I will have to wait for CD5!!!

So now the fun and games begin I suppose!

I hope you are all well ladies xxx
  • Options
    Hi Magpie,

Just wanted to offer you some support. I know I went on a bit of a downer after the scan confirmed pcos as it was hard to take it in. Even though I knew I had problems ttc it was difficult seeing it on paper, if you know what I mean.

The scan shows your ovaries- in normal ovaries there would be a few follicles and one dominant or bigger follicle which is normally the one that gets realeased in ovulation, In pcos there are lots of follicles at different stages and a few medium sized follicles which haven't been released. They get absored back into your system but just leave little bumps on your ovaries which are filled with fluid but don't cause any harm.

If I were you I would ask your doctor or consultant to give you someting called provera or norisethene. It won't give you a 'proper' period but it will give you a withdrawal bleed when you stop taking it and will mean you can go for the blood test 5 days after you start bleeding. You might not neccassarily get to a stage where you can go for the tests otherwise (I have only had 1 af in 12 months but they gave me noristethene so I could get the tests done). You should go back to your gp and ask for a referral to the infertility/gynaecology unit at your local hospital- it can sometimes take up to 3 months to be seen. In the meantime there is still a small chance you can gt pg naturally but be assured that they can do all kinds once you go to the hospital. Good luck! xxx
  • Options
    Thank-you so much for the support and advice Hope, that is really helpful. I think going to the docs is a good idea, the nurse today said the doc would have the report from the scan in a week, so I could book an appointment to discuss that and then ask about the other things you mention.

I must admit I feel a bit sad now, I was pretty certain I had it but it is still quite depressing to get it confirmed! It feels so unfair that something that comes so easily and naturally for most people is going to be such a hard slog for us :cry:

Ah well, I am sure I will find some PMA once it has all sunk in! Thanks again for your reply, and I hope things go well for you, lots of luck xx
  • Options
    I totally understand how you feel. It almost like when I convince myself I'm pg and know I'm probably not but then I still get disappointed when i get a bfn. I knew it would be pcos but convinced myself it might not be. It's difficult just realising how hard ttc can be- and you don't ever realise it until you actually start ttc and want it badly. You can still get pregnant it just might not be as straightforward and you might need a bit of a hand. Some people have gone on to get natural bfps with pcos too- it only takes one little egg. Keep me posted xxx
  • Options
    Hey Magpie - it's always a blow to get diagnosed with something but at least now we have more of an idea of what we're up against and a reason for why nothing has happened yet. Each step forwards gets a totally mixed emotional response but I'm happier taking action and ploughing on with these doctors even if it is upsetting at times.

Since my last post, my doctor who had told me to wait for 12 months has actually referred me to a gynae consultant who I saw for the first time this Monday (sorry - Hope I told you this already on other post!). I was expecting clomid but now have to ring in two weeks to get a date for surgery. Waaaaa!!!

Gonna have a laparoscopy with ovarian drilling which I find a lot scarier than the thought of drugs. I know loads of people have this done but it's feeling very serious now........

Gonna get my metformin dose increased after the op too so fingers crossed!

Baby dust xx

P.S. AF arrived this week after a 99 day 'cycle'. This is an improvement on the last one which was 150 days! I'm thinking it's stress from work as both AFs have arrived in my holidays!