Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Think I might have PCOS, what do you think?

Hello ladies,

I wonder if I could ask for some opinions, I came off the pill 2 months ago, after about 9 years on it. I haven't had AF yet, which I know isn't that strange as it could just be my body getting back to normal, but I am starting to wonder if I might have PCOS. I went on the pill when I was 16 as I had really heavy, terribly painful AF, to the point of being sick. I also have quite a lot of hair, especially on my forearms, extremely oily skin and acne on my cheeks, jawline, chest and back, I get really tired when I have eaten and I am always thirsty (not sure if that's related?!), high blood pressure, I find it hard to lose weight, and there are probably other things if I think about it!!

Do you think it is worth me going to the doctor? Or would they not take me seriously until I hadn't had AF for a bit longer? Also, how do they test for PCOS?

Thank you so much for any advice ladies, I can't tell if I have cause to worry or if I am just being overly paranoid!!

Replies

• Options
    Hello Magpie!

I remember you from ttc - waiting for AF group - hope you're well! So I'm guessing you still haven't had AF - me neither and it's CD112 today. Boo!

I had a lot of trouble with my periods as well as a teenager. Really irregular but very heavy when they came. Eventually a three month non-stop bleed (which made me pretty ill) led to me being put on the contraceptive pill. I didn't dare come off it until we started ttc.

Anyway, I've been to the doctor a couple of times now. After first visit I had a blood test done. Tonight I've been back and the doctor said I have raised LH levels which could indicate PCOS so he's referred me to go for a scan.

At this stage the NHS will not help with ttc but I'm pushing for investigation and diagnosis so at least I know what I'm up against!

I'd make an appointment and go in from the PCOS angle rather than the ttc - I think what I've had so far (bloods and now a scan) is standard procedure.

Good luck xx

http://lbff.lilypie.com/XdDa.png

• Options
    Hi Mrs Robson,

Thank-you for your reply, that is really helpful. Sorry to hear you still haven't had Af and that you are having to go through all the tests.

I think it is quite bad that when we are teenagers and have problems the docs just put us on the pill and don't find out the cause, and as teenagers we don't know to question it!! Then we only find out there is a problem when we come off the pill.

How long did you wait until you went to the doc? Hopefully they will prescribe you something to help ttc if you are diagnosed with PCOS won't they?

Fingers crossed things work out for you, and thanks again for the info :\)
  • Options
    Hello Magpie!

I waited three months before going to the doctor. I started getting anxious about coming off the pill several months before I actually came off it due to the distress from my teenage years all flooding back to me. I felt a real feeling of injustice that they did just make the symptoms go away and never investigated the cause. It's just not right!

First doctor I saw said even with a diagnosis of PCOS they wouldn't help me ttc until 18 months. The doctor today said a year. I can't wait that long!!

And by the way, I just came across something that really struck a chord with me while googling symptoms of PCOS. I've always seemed to get hot and flustered very easily and need super strength deodorant to avoid embarrassing sweaty pits (tmi - sorry!). I've always worn sleeveless tops whilst people around me have worn jumpers and long sleeves! For the first time today I've seen it as a symptom of PCOS and I'm absolutely convinced. I never even thought my 'hotness' could be down to anything but now it seems to make sense!

Baby & OV dust xx

http://lbff.lilypie.com/XdDa.png

• Options
    That is such a long time to have to wait for help ttc! How frustrating!!

OMG that is so wierd you said that, I am EXACTLY the same, always having hot flushes!! The other day I was on th train and everyone else was in their coats, hats and scarfs and I had to strip off to my vest top as I was so hot!! An old woman looked at me in disbelief and said 'aren't you cold dear?!' :lol:

Oh dear, looks like I do need a trip to the docs. I am just a bit worried he will dismiss me or think I am a hypochondriac!
  • Options
    That's sooooo strange, isn't it?!! I always thought it was just me but it makes perfect sense that it could be down to something like PCOS. I'm always tearing off extra layers cos once I get hot I just can't take it!! I do also get people asking me aren't I cold?! Lol!
    Gutted today though cos I have to wait until January for my scan. Boo!
    H xx
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Like both of you, I had terrible problems with af during my teenage years. The pain would sometimes be so bad that I couldn't walk. then my af would be AWOL and like you ,the doctor would only ever put me on the pill.

Now after I was diagnosed in Cot, I asked my GP what would be done with me to help. I told her I was surprised that I had just been stuck on the pill and not investigated over the years and she said that that is what she would have done with me now if I wasn't ttc! She said that as my symptoms weren't bad I didn't require any treatment and that the pill would address my main problem effectively, i.e. no af.

As it is I have been referred to the fertility clinic but \it has taken ages and ages and my first appt is on Dec 24rg.
    Keep going back and pushing for more investigations/referrals girls.
    xxx