Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Depression?

Hi ladies,

I hope you are all well. I haven't been on here for a while as I have tried to put baby making to the back of my mind and carry on with life! So I am finally getting my blood test tomorrow after the nurse confirmed I had PCOS at my internal scan, as I had to wait until CD5 which obviously doesn't come round very often! I am looking forward to finally being able to talk to the doc about everything and find out what my next step will be.

So I really wanted to ask if anyone else struggles with depression at all as a side effect of their PCOS? I don't really mean getting down because of the symptoms / not being able to have a baby, but more because of the hormones? I ask because I have had a really tough four days since AF came, and I am only just starting to feel better now. It was the worst I have ever felt in my life, I just felt empty and numb and disconnected from everyone, and so so sad, I couldn't stop crying, I could barely muster the motivation to get off the sofa. I have always been a bit prone to anxiety and depression, but never this bad and never for four days straight. Do you think this is because of the PCOS? Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? As at the time I felt like I wanted medication but then obviously I can't have that if ttc? And now I feel a bit better I feel like I don't need that anyway! AGH, its so annoying! I will be so grateful to hear about anyone else's experiences, thanks xxx

Replies

• Options
    I've suffered depression a few times in the past mainly due to either hormones, situation or lack of sunlight. I have to say though that my SAD was much better this year since coming off the pill so I'm guessing that too was affected by hormones....
    As a person prone to depression I find my best way of keeping it away is by doing plenty of exercise and eating fresh fruit and veg every day. When I don't, I start feeling sluggish which can start me off....
    I'm planning to get right back into a health kick once I get over this surgery to try and make myself feel better. There's nothing like natural endorphines.
    Glad you're feeling better now xxx
  • Options
    Thank-you so much for the reply to this Mrs R, especially considering what you are going through at the mo. I was hoping coming off the pill would help with that side of things but turns out it has made it worse!! I have been on a health kick for about a month now, am trying a low GI diet and have joined the gym, I have started losing weight but perhaps it will take a while for it to start helping with my symptoms. I feel a million times better today, back to normal in fact (even after my blood test this morning, ouch!!) so I am guessing it was just AF hormones in overdrive making me feel so bad. Maybe its a good thing I don't have AF very often!!

I hope you have a quick recovery from your surgery, and that your renewed health kick makes you feel better. At least its the one thing we can have some control over hey!
  • Options
    Aww Magpie - what are we putting ourselves through, eh?! And do you know what, the funny thing is that if we had our very own lil bundles of joy we'd be complaining about sleepless nights and dirty nappies!!
    Nice talking to you again xx
  • Options
    Hi magpie,

I wouldn't say I'm depressed but I've had really bad mood swings ranging from being teary at nothing to feling angry, to breaking my heart and getting frustrated. It always feels like PMT which gets me even more mad because then I expect an af but nothing happens haha.

I do think it's down to my hormone levels(but ttc issues do not help)- now that they've started to improve I feel more like myself. On top of that I also think the lighter months and the metformin I'm on are helping xxx
  • Options
    Thank-you for the reply Hope. Those mood swings sound just like me as well!! I am really pleased that you are feeling more like yourself and that the metformin is helping. I am going to the docs next week to discuss my results and I am hoping he might prescribe me some lovely medication! haha x
  • Options
    Yeah they aren't foolproof and I still have wobbles- like last night I just got a little overcome by it all again but they are definitely doing something and it's becoming less frequent. Loving your new avatar btw- let's hope it brings you luck xx
  • Options
    With all this crap we are going through I definitely think we are allowed a wobble every now and then! I can't imagine feeling completely normally again until I have my baby! I have felt quite good since my last AF finished, but I still have an occasional random moment when its like I am finding out I have problems for the first time and I panic and cry! It happened when I was just driving along the other day, haha what a nightmare!

Thank-you, I decided my rude tree didn't bring me any more luck than the rude veg so I have gone for something different!! X
  • Options
    Yeah lots of love fro the avatar - I may well have a change soon - I've been a flower for far too long!! It's strange but now I need IVF I'm not really bothered about when or if AF comes - it's strange how things change! Now it's all about which credit card I can get!!
    As for feeling normal once we have our little mini-mes, I don't know if that'll happen - we'll be moaning then about sleep deprivation and baby poo! They say your life changes once you have a child but I think 'they' are people who got pregnant easily - I think life changes once you start ttc!! But to have a little baby must be just the most priceless thing in the world and so worth all the trouble they've caused!!
    H xxx
  • Options
    I am sure you are right there Mrs R! We will have a whole new set of moans once we finally get that long awaited BFP!! Haha, hope you are doing ok today X
  • Options
    yeah i suffer frm depresion with pcos mine i gradually getting worse tho n i get down more often n coz my hubby suffers from v bad depression too it doesnt help him ive had pcos for about 3 yrs bt with no periods i have to loose weight b4 my gp will do anything n that gets me down if i cud get my periods bk i dont think i wud get down or depressed as much or as often