Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Any symptoms? How do you deal with them?

Evening ladies,
I know lots of us here have recently been diagnosed and that there are also some old timers and I thought it would be interesting to share our symptoms.
It seems that everyone varies a lot and I think the way people are dealing with these symptoms could be insightful

So I'll go first..
I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago. My main symptoms (excluding bloods and u/s)
- no af since mc in feb:cry:
- cramps and pains in ovaries on and off
- slight weight gain for no apparent reason that I cannot shift. (my BMI is normal but I have put on 7lbs since feb!!:cry::roll::rollimage

I have nothing else so I am very lucky but I wondered, do these symptoms come and go? Can the severity of your condition fluctuate?

I am trying to follow a low GI diet but am only learning about it at the moment. I have also started to go to the gym 3 times a week.

Any other tips ladies?
xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi MrsDao,
    Thanks for posting this, I'll be very interested to see how this varies from person to person. I too have very recently been diagnosed, though my symptoms are a little different from yours.
    I have..
    excess hair (lovely)
    difficulty losing weight and gain it VERY easily despite exercising every day at the gym like a mad thing.
    Quite bad skin sometimes.
    I do have regular periods, but I don't always ovulate and they're very very short (2 days) - my consultant said that the only reason I got those was because I exercise so regularly.
    I've been put on metformin, which I start next week to see if this'll help, I go back in 3 months for repeat bloods etc to see if it's doing it's job.
    I've bought the PCOS handbook from amazon and am now following a low GI diet too. I'll be very interested to see how it works for you too!
    xxx
  • Options
    Brilliant post idea!
    Okay, I was diagnosed in October. Since finishing pill, long cycles anything from 43 to 165 days (although think the 165 days was due to MC). My symptoms seem to be getting worse by the day, boo hoo!

Feeling pretty sorry for myself at the mo! I have very fair hair but definately have excess facial hair, it's not too bad but am panicking about what to do about it.......any ideas greatly received!
    I have gained about 10lbs but have re-joined Slimming World so thi is starting to come off now.
    The worst thing for me is the Acne, it is getting so bad around my chin and jaw line. It cleared up for a couple of weeks but has got bad again. Again really not sure what to do about it :\(

Has anyone had electrolisis? I am seriously considering some drastic action against my face...just not sure where to start!

Looking forward to sharing stories and advice, we know we can all do this together! xxx
  • Options
    Hiya

I was diagnosed about 8 weeks ago and symptoms are:

- No proper AF (last one was April/May) and am normally very regular
    - Ovary pains that are on and off but mainly on! And painful!
    - Acne - just on chin mainly

My weight has been OK, BMI is in the normal range so think my symptons have been fairly mild - only got diagnosed through scan.

xx
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed about 5 motnhs ago now, but i sort of knew i had it way before this.

I have hardly any AF's about 1 or two a year then they are really short, about 2 or 3 days and light, not that im complaining.

I can get very bad acne again as someone else said on my chin and jaw line mainly, and very very sore spot on my hairline, which i really hate!!

I have lovely hair on my upper lip and some on chin, the odd one coming through which is dark... sexy, ..

I also (as someone else mentioned and did not think it was a symptom) get quite bad pains in my overies which goes through to my back.

I think thats it, nbut most of all what i would give to have a normal 28 days cycle... .
    xx
  • Options
    This is really interesting ladies,
    Keep -em coming!
    x
  • Options
    Bump! I'm wanting to learn more as I fear I may have PCOS....
  • Options
    was diagnosed 2 yrs ago.

Symptoms include
    server pain where overies are about 2-3 weeks a month, lack off af or sometime sever bleeding, no ovulation only releasing folicles (non ripe eggs) that turn into cysts,
    weight gain, follow low gi diet for this, ( still struggle)
    extreme hair growth to point i need to shave every day my arms and legs (although husb wld say shld do 2 a day am used to his silly questions), wax upperlip, bikini ect every 2 weeks, acne but only on upper arms and upper legs rdn about time af shld come.

But pg is poss i now have 6mnth daughter concieved naturally with help from metformin.

sarah x
  • Options
    What agreat thread so interesting to see what other peoples symptons are.
    I was diagnosed about a year ago when i came off the pill to try and regulate my body before our wedding. But ended up not have periods and when i did they were very heavy and painful. I also had trouble with my skin quite a lot, which seems to have settled down now. Server pain in my back and overies every so often, Tiredness, IBS ( which i never thought it related until recently!)
    emotional up and down (lucky husband!) luckily i do not suffer with my weight and im pretty healthy,im following a low gi diet to see if it helps though.
    Have been taking Agnus Castus since i came off the beginning and it seems to be helping.....time will tell!!
    xxx
  • Options
    hello all newbie on this forum i was diagnosed with pcos 6 years ago and againb have trouble with my weight no afs and was only ovulationg once a year but the worst part for me is the acne i have it on the left side of my face and chin and wheres its been so bad i have bad scarring.But on a good note even tho i was hardly ever ovulationg i have two lovely babies.I had just about last all hope the 1st time i was ttc and we were going to go for ivf then a week before i was due to go i got my BFP all by myself then when my lo one 7 months old i fell pregnant again even though i was on dianette at the time so there is hope goodluck everyone.