Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Relactation...

Hi ladies.
After feeding my little boy for a day in hospital, he had to have a stay in the neonatal unit. I was beside myself and couldn't express any milk for him. We chose to put him onto formula...a decision I really regret but after a bad birth and first 24 hours I did not have the energy.
My milk still leaks now and my baby is 3 weeks old. He took really well to formula and became much more settled.
After it eating away at me for 3 weeks I've decided if I can, I want to try and relactate...even if eventually just 3 out of his 6 daily bottles are breast milk I'd feel so much better.
I have very large breasts and this made breastfeeding difficult anyway so I would express.
I'm very aware that this may not and probably wont work but I atleast want to try.
Any tips anyone has would be appreciated.
Ally & Archie (3w3d) xx

[Modified by: alzywalzywoo on 20 August 2010 16:20:08 ]

Replies

• Options
    I found Nettle Extract a godsend for boosting supply, Fenugreek did nothing for me (I exclusively expressed for 7.5 months) We struggled with my big boobs and my daughter's little mouth, she just couldn't/wouldn't latch on.

Make sure you've got a pump you're comfortable with - I loved my Avent manual and got loads out, but using a Medela Mini Electric was so uncomfortable and actually dried my supply right up!

Lastly, good luck and don't put too much pressure on yourself to succeed, as this can affect your supply too! xx
  • Options
    hiya hon
    I relactated after 3 wks FF.
    Cant post right now, in a rush but ill come back tonihgt. Ive bn BF and topping up with F for over 3 wks now image Thank too the gr8 advise from these ladies and calling the BF helpline image