Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Black Garden Ants!! :x

:x They have managed to get everywhere!! :x

How do I get rid of them? Does anyone know!? I do have a huge garden.. I have put ant powder down but they are still marching around our house like they own the place! I've called environmental health but apprently they are not considered a public pest! I beg to differ! I have detoled the whole place! Leaving nothing sweet out.. & spraying everywhere I see them! Nothing seem's to be deterring them! :roll:

Does any one know how to get rid of them???? :\?

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Find their nest and pour boiling water down it. Sounds horrid I know but that's what my mum had to do when she had an infestation. The powders did nothing and they were all over her house and into everything so someone told her to do what I've just said and funnily enough she didn't have any problem after that!!
    xx
  • Options
    pure bleach around the edges of your worktops (the back) will stop them from climbing up there are getting on your surfaces-they dont like the smell aparently, but donna's suggestion is the best, boiling hot water on the nest... i used some soapy water first as they dont like suds or bleach. i had a massive problem a couple of years ago, came in and my kitched floor was a carpet of wriggly black ants yeuck!! ... i put powder around all the edges and followed the trail of dead ants to just outside my back door where theyd burrowed a hole in the wall and set up home, i soon moved them out and havent had them back since image
  • Options
    Oo boiling water sounds harsh! :lol: but i'll give it a go lol it can't be any worse that stapping on them as i see them or spraying them with detergent! :lol: I'll have to sit and watch the line now to see where they go in the end! lol xx
  • Options
    lol....i can just picture you sneaking around your house, detol in hand, following the ants and your lo splodging them....(cue mission impossible theme)
  • Options
    :lol: yeah was a bit like that last night.. till now we have been killing them on sight.. but they seem to follow a line so I was like let's wait and see where they are going out and coming in! My OH (who loves call of duty 4) Had detol in hand and was 'shooting' the ones who were on there way back in again as I was stalking the line on there way out! :lol: I'm sure we are meant to be adults in this house!! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Ants are horrid..we had them when I was renting and we eventually figured out they were coming in through the skirting by the window. Lines of ant powder seemed to work though. ITs definately worth checking skirtings/worktops/tiles etc for any areas of gaps that might need resealing to keep them out.

I'd rather ants than slugs..when i first bought my house they kept coming in to the kitchen and it was horrid. I hate slugs. Kept fillign in all the holes I found and the little buggers still kept coming in - only stopped when we retiled and redid the skirting.
  • Options
    one good factor about about ants is that they are quite 'clean' insects....you cant catch anything from them....so if the kids start eating them you dont have to worry lol....sealing all tiles n surfaces is a good idea, they get through the smallest cracks and holes....lil blighters
  • Options
    Jeyes fluid is good but is very strong so be very careful around your lo.
  • Options
    had this problem before too and used the boiling water down the nest trick - as harsh as it is it really works!
    kia, omg i can't stand slugs they make me feel sick! i'm shuddering now just thinking about them!!
    hope you manage to get rid of the ants natalie x
  • Options
    Sorry mumof2 - didn't want to make you feel s ick! They have the same effect on me tbh.. I hate them with a passion. I don't recommend putting salt on them to get rid though...its just too icky!!

Definately be careful if you try jeyes fluid - I've used it for cleaning up outside and I remember having to shut the cat up - cat was not impressed being shut up
  • Options
    A good tip for mums to be, obvioulsy we want to avoid using pesticides especially with kids around. There is a product called Diatomaceous Earth. It is sometimes sold under the brand name of Drione and is perfectly safe for humans. It works by drying out the insects.

So how do you apply it for ants in a home or garden. First get some icing sugar and then mixing it 1-1 with the Drione Next sprinkle it using a tea strainer under the kitchen units behind white goods appliances and anywhere else you have seen them. Outside move flowerpots a favourite place for ants and sprinkle the dust here you can also lift up large stones and put some dust here.

The way it works is very simple ants love sugar but mixed with the Drione the ants will take the sugar back to the nest and dry out the colony.

I hope this has helped but if you need more info you can ask more questions on pest control here.

www.pest3.com