Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Apr 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is anybody weaning yet?

I wasn't planning on starting until 6 months because I would like to give baby led weaning a go. However at the weekend Finley was sat next to me while I was eating lunch and before I knew it he had grabbed the pastry bit from my sausage roll and was chomping away on it. Not exactly what I would like him to be eating at the moment so I took it off of him and he screamed the house down.

Now I dont know what to do. He is 20 weeks now and has been watching intently as we eat for a week or so. How do you know when they are ready?

Also is 6 months counted in weeks or by the date they were born??

:\?

Replies

• Options
    I've given Oliver a bit of baby rice on a few different occassions now and he has been fine. He's 17 weeks so I'm trying to hold out until 20 weeks before I give it him every day and start introducing anything else.

He has also taken food off me and DH and started eating it. Everytime DH has toast he starts squealing!

I spoke to my HV about it as Oliver is really big and is taking lots of milk. She asked me quite a few questions and said it sounded like he would be ready for food very soon.

I count 6 months from the date they were born, but not sure if that's right!

H x
  • Options
    LOL, what cheeky monkeys Finley & Oliver are!! Benjamin is more than content with milk at the moment so we're going to hold out till 6mnths hopefully - I can't wait to see his reactions to food, but weaning seems like hard work!

Like Hayley, I would count 6 mnths as 6 actual months from the day they were born, pretty sure that's the way to do it!

x

BTW, like you Wif, I'm wanting to try BLW

[Modified by: Ruth77 on August 17, 2010 08:48 AM]

• Options
    Matilda is 17 weeks and I started her on a tiny bit of baby rice on Sat. She would only take the smallest amount and she just rolls it around her mouth getting used to the texture. I suspect she didn't actually swallow any! It's made me see what a slow process it is so I am just going to go at her pace. I should add that my mum is a HV (and a qualified midwife - very handy!) - so I know this goes against the party line but we have talked about it at length and decided the Little Miss would benefit x
  • Options
    I haven't started yet but I am considering giving Holly-Kate some baby rice but I'm worried because I haven't discussed it with my HV yet. I think she is showing signs (really watching us intently when we eat, not going long between feeds). What other signs are you looking out for?

Should I try her on some baby rice on a couple of days to see how she gets on or should I speak to the HV first?
  • Options
    I *think* she should have doubled her birth weight and be able to hold her head up too. They really do take the tiniest amount - I had built it up thinking that LO was going to be wolfing down a full English once I'd started! Only you can decide but maybe give your HV a call? Not sure what they are like in your area but mine has only been round once when LO was 6 weeks ish! Luckily, it doesn't impact me too much but would be bl00dy annoying if I couldn't ask my mum! x
  • Options
    We are waiting. Young man is very interested in our food, to the extent that he was getting his hands in my Sunday roast trying to grab at bits of roast potato, but that doesn't mean that he's ready gastrointestinally speaking! I don't think that being interested in oyther people eating signals a readiness for food, as I repeatedly (and testily!) told my MIL when she'd go on about Freya needing weaning from 3 months on, she's very interested in the washing machine too, but that doesn't mean she's ready to start doing her own laundry!

Ethan still has a definite tongue thrust reflex as he will push Calpol out of his mouth, so there is no way that he's physiologically ready for food just yet.

I've no hope in hell of waiting for him to double his birth weight, though, he was 10lb 12oz and is only 15lb 15oz now at 4 months!

This is a fairly simple guide to food-readiness:
    http://www.nhs.uk/start4life/pages/no-rush-to-mush.aspx
  • Options
    Amelia is 20 weeks today and I've given her baby rice a couple of times but only to see what would happen really. She stuck her tongue out a lot - might have swallowed a tiny bit. She seemed to really like it but I'm only planning on giving it to her a couple of times a week at the moment, and only if she wants it.

She hasn't upped her feeds but she's now going for less time between feeds and it's very hard to get her to drink milk now as she gets easily bored.

I'll continue with the occasional go at baby rice until she's at least 5 months old (so another two weeks) and then assess the situation again.
  • Options
    Lara is now 5 months old and i started to wean her at 4 months, as i did with both my other children and as i was and so on. I think its entirely up to the parents when they want to start as hv have to go with government guidelines not what they really think. (as mine puts it.lol )
    I started her on pureed fruit and she ate a whole pureed apple the first day. She is now on a main meal for lunch and fruit for the evening. She hasnt dropped any bf either which is great and also she is only just 13lbs, so not a big baby.
    I have had it easy with the fact that she never spits any out and took to swallowing, tastes and textures straight away. She absolutely loves trying new things and gets very uposet when i wont let her have the spoon.lol
    Goodluck everyone when you are ready to start, beware of the monster that you unleash.lol

claire xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    I have just started Matthew with some baby rice this week and he absolutely loves it. He is 16 weeks but has no problems taking food from a spoon and swallowing. He definately hasn't been taking less milk, in fact he seems to be taking it a lot better now and seems very satisfied! I think you should just take it at your own pace and give it a go when YOU feel the time is right not when the government tells you!
  • Options
    she's very interested in the washing machine too, but that doesn't mean she's ready to start doing her own laundry!

:lol: If only eh?! x
  • Options
    she's very interested in the washing machine too, but that doesn't mean she's ready to start doing her own laundry!

Ethan still has a definite tongue thrust reflex as he will push Calpol out of his mouth, so there is no way that he's physiologically ready for food just yet.

i agree. one of my cats is forever sitting next to me and baby as she gives him attention; she has started to stroke him in her own way. today she was pulling his ear towards her mouth, but i was certainly not going to let her eat him!!!

i saw someone spoon feeding their lo a few weeks ago and the baby pushed every bit out and she spent an hour at it. clearly that baby is not ready for food. he was about 21 weeks, so not even that early.
  • Options
    Grace is nearly 18 weeks and showing an interest in food but I'm holding off at least until after our holiday when she'll be nearly 5 months. I had a HV appt about weaning last week and just got the current party line about waiting til 6 months (which is exactly 26 weeks btw!), forgoing baby race and purees and going straight to lumpy food and finger food. I'm sure if anyone goes to their HV for an opinion this is what you'll be told so trust your own instincts.

I'm pretty much doing my own thing. When I feel Grace is ready I'll try her on baby rice then move to purees and finger food and see what works best.

You can't rush weaning - if your LO is ready it will be a fairly easy process. If they're not it will be a stressful nightmare! Only you can make the call as you're HV will just tell you the guidelines which may or may not suit your LO.

My eldest for eg wasn't really interested in anything other than baby rice and yoghurt til about 8 months and I was so stressed that she wouldn't take other food as the HV kept telling me she should be on 3 meals a day! But when she was ready for other food she took it no probs. It just didn't fit with the guidelines!

My advice is wait as long as you can but when you think your baby is ready just give it a go and if s/he doesn't take to it leave it and try again in a few weeks.

Xxx
  • Options
    Rhea is interested while we eat, but just looks never tries to take it from us. I think we'll be waiting till 6 months as she seems very happy with milk at the mo.

Jayne xx
  • Options
    dd puts everything in her mouth. it's a developmental stage, not a sign for needing food. they are like sharks! image
  • Options
    Haha calleigh! I know exactly what you mean! As soon as I put my face near grace she just Opens her mouth and tries to have a chew!
  • Options
    love that! dd does that when she wakes up in the morning. like she's giving me a big kiss!