Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

anyone still up loads in night??? xxx

anyone else still up loads in night!!!??? feel like i have a newborn still - it stops me ging out with friends as i know will be up in night, go to bed ealy every night as thinking he will be awake soon!!!

hubby still stays up till 1am ish so he deals with him if he wakes - it silly!!!

he has never been good at sleeping - we have a routine bath with brother at 7pm and the he wears sleep suit and then a fleecy larger one (got rid of sleeping bag as it seemed to annoy him) and then he has a snuggle he loves and dummy, so he sits and has his milk and cuddle then i always cuddled to sleep then lay down but new bad as when he woke he wanted me again so now put down after bottle and he cries and i usually go in and dummy after a good cry!

then some nights he may go till 3ish and then he refuses tpo go off he screams and screams - 2 hours plus i have tried to get him off... so now i give in and just lift out lay on sofa with him and give him bottle and then cuddle bacj to sleep then depending on time try put him in cot again - usually he wakes the min i do this!!!

we ahve some nights he is better and sleeps semi through or just needs dummy or something - had really random night when has slept till 6am from, going down!!!

anyway am i the only one and has anyone had similart that they ahve recently tackled!??

Replies

• Options
    Hi Star

I'm still up in the night with Ty every night, on a good night its once, bad night it can be a few times. No particular reason for it, when he wakes I just give him a bottle and then 9/10 he does drop straight off but he has never slept through the night.

There are a few of us night owls about (even though it doesn't feel like it !)

Do you have a facebook account ? There are loads of us on there.

Sarah

• Options
    oh my god im sooo glad that i am not the only one!!! its getting to me a bit now as i have a 3 year old who gets disturbed and i am desperate for a nights sleep - i know when theu are ill and teething they would be up but generally they should sleep shouldnt they???!!! arrgghh!

i kepe thinking i know i dont help as have some bad habits - main one being our bathroom is downstairs and masons room is as until build extension hubby made him a room downstairs so had own space and we wouldnt disturb etc... so both boys have bath at 7ish and then we get the dressed in lounge 3 year old goes up with milk and has story and sleep really good and mason then sits with me on sofa has bottle and when alseep i move to cot - odd times i try to put down after bottle and he cries that much just give in in the end and bring backout... he is currently crying after i put him down at 8 and he has now woken so i have dummied and he is crying still will leave a while and try get him off but then how long do you carry on for!?!

in the night if i refuse to take out of cot and dummy etc he will go mad scream, cry for hours does not give in! even if i stay in room and sit in chair with him he still not happy as knows going back in cot, so i give in and lay on sofa with him and give bottle will then have to wait till conked and lay back down or some nights i try and try but everytime get to cot wakes and have to lay back with him! ridiculous i know!!!!

I am on facebook Charlotte Gout

• Options
    Hi

I know you've probably tried this, but have you tried a strict routine with him. I think the only reason Ty knows its bedtime as we do the same thing every night (not necessarily the same time depending on when his last nap is) So, he climbs the stairs (one of us in front and one behind in case he falls), so for Mason maybe start leading him in (if he can walk). Then he has a bath, Pj's on in bathroom, into his bedroom. I put him in his sleeping bag with his bear, lightshow and sleep sheep on, then I put on my dressing gown (he loves snuggling into it), and we have a cuddle whilst he has his bedtime bottle. I just then put him into his cot and leave him to it. Sometimes I have to go back to him if he's too hot/cold and re-adjust what he's wearing and re-settle. Then, when he wakes at night, I just go in, dont speak to him and give him his bottle (now watered down as we're weaning the night feed) and put him straight back down 9/10 it works unless he's in pain.

How warm is his bedroom ? To get Ty like this has taken a long time, and even now he wont sleep through, but he'e better than he was. Have had to be very strict with him, have even led on the floor of his room with my arm through the bars rubbing his back.

For the first 14 weeks of his life we had to sleep downstairs with him as he hated being on his back. Have you had him tested for Reflux ? Once Ty got his meds for that he was more settled. Have you been to Dr with him ? Our doctor just kept saying it was wind, and he was uncomfortable on his back. It was only when we seen paed that the disgnosis was made.

Will look for you on facebook.

Sarah

• Options
    thanks for message!!! he is in a routine as our 3 year old has always been so we gradually got mason on it after few weeks old... so they both have bath at 7pm - its downstairs and so we then bring them both in lounge, pjs on and milk and cuddle... hubby takes finlay up and storey and i wither sit with him and he falls asleep and then i lay in cot (thsi is downstairs at the mo) or i be brave and wait till sleepy and then lay down say night night and leave!!! he is usalllu screaming before even lowered in cot or left room!!! this could go on for hours which is just silly as he is knackered as i usually then give in as need to do packs ups, shower etc so pick up and cuddle and he conks!!! but then of course in night wants the same and cant and wont settle for hours and hours!!!

i have thought about a light show rather than just then laying him in room on own and leaving - have tried sitting in there if anything he is worse as he gets angry im ignoring him! thinking i need to perhaps give milk in his room or something and then put light show on or something and ay night lay down and take it from there... then do same in night and perhaps!!! arrgghhh!!!

his room temp varies.... as he has a oil rad in there and then if our fire is lit which is all time at mo as we have no proper heating it is connected to rad in his room so heats... so it is actually hot in there - but have tried making it cooler and when fire not lit he is still same!!! he was in sleepsuit and growbag but seemed to get annoyed to now in sleepsuit and a fleecy larger one which he seems comfy in - then do lay blanket but dont think ever on him!!!

he had silent acid reflux when little like his bro and was on infant gavisgon - i weaned him off it when went on solids... i do think he was wind sometimes as when crying hear him pass wind when sits up! howeven i lay down he usually turns to side or front himself and when asleep seems comfy!!!

nyway im ranting on now - i know its me that has to do something just got to motivate myself to start and stick to it!!

x thank you xxx
  • Options
    My 13 month old is up loads too!!! Sounds similar to you. Very random. Some nights he'll be up 8 times, other nights he'll be up once. I'm SOOOO exhausted. So tonight is the start of the controlled crying, he's been screaming for 1/5 hrs now but I'm not giving in. I really need sleep before I get ill.

Good luck, I really feel for you, lots of love and here's for a good nights sleep!!
  • Options
    From what I know - and follow-, the night wakes can result from them being overtired or undertired. It might be that mason needs that bit of extra wind down before he feels ready to go to sleep. Do you do story time at all?

We introduced this a few months back for bedtime and found it really helped. It makes sense too, if you read before bedtime does it make you sleepy? For us it went astray a bit as he likes his books so much he didnt want to stop and it would be like 10 stories before he would give in and go in the cot!! So now as part of wind down we bring a drawer of his books out to the living room and he reads through them with us. When it's time for bed after his bottle and teeth cleaned it's off to his room to get dressed in sleeping bag, lights dimmed, into rocker for story on lap. We now only have 3 story books for bedtime after taking on some advice. The same 3 every time (for the lunch nap and the night bedtime). He knows they are the special sleepy time books now. By doing this, he tires out usually by 1 or 2 books so he has associated it with going to sleep. The 3 books we have chosen are very repetitive (Old Macdonald, Wonky Donky and Where is the Green Sheep) so i think that may also help to kind of hypnotise him off to a sleepy state :lol:

So the put down to bed is way shorter, and something he actually looks forward to because of the stories (these books are put away so that they cant be taken out at any other time, though sometimes he finds them :lol: ). He even leads you into the room (he is walking) as opposed to be taken in when we say "ok time for nigh nigh now, cuddles good night" (to me as hubby puts him to bed at night).

• Options
    I just sent you a friend request on FB.
  • Options
    you have such a lovely bedtime routine no wonder he is soooo good and going sleep!!!your right he isn't wound down enough as for some reason just before bed both boys decide its play time and chase eachother around house - crawling and laughing soooo lovely to watch but then i suppose im expecting it to just stop and gove him milk and plonk in cot in dark on own... i wouldnt be happy!!!

my 3 year old has a story but havent done it with mason... also because he is in make shift room its small - not inviting as nothing much in it apart from cot and basket with clothes in... so thought need to puty some piccies on wall and get a night projector - so perhaps that may make it a room that isnt horrible for him??!!! hubby thinks will just stimulate him more but im willing to try anything!!!

the strange thing is at weekend he slept thru 3 nights - first night till 5.30 - brought in bed then gave milk and went back off till 8ish, next night 7am again had milk in bed and off again for hour, third night 6.30 and back in bed till 8ish.......then the follwing night he woke at 1am and screamed, shouted, sobbed for 2 hours - i tried feeding he drank and then sat on lap wide eyed and if i moved towards cot screamed and cried, tried leaving and checking like controlled crying, tried sitting in room but ignoring apart from laying back down - then tried patting him and holding hand.... basically by gone 3 i knew had work at 7 so brought in to bed........ next night same it was awful and i got sooo stressed!!! the thing is i know he is just soooooooo angry with me as i am not picking up - as he actually screams and shouts and bangs if i do pick up instant stop!!!

LUOO7 - How is it going with controlled crying?????? really really hope its working for you xx
  • Options
    Thanks, the bedtime routine has been tweaked as we go along.. every time we hit another hurdle! Im a bit anal about his sleep if anything :lol: But it's been a matter of finding out what works best for him.

If Mason's room is small you could always try story time in your bed together instead, then as part of the wind down take him into his room (my friend does this with her son as their room is through a door to his room). Or is there enough room to set up some comfy cushions on the floor to sit and cuddle up on with a bedtime blankie over you? Or a kiddie sofa? You can definately introduce something that is a signal for bedtime only, like a projector or light/sound show, but just beware that this is a prop that you might not be able to use elsewhere (eg on holidays, at friends or relatives etc). Especially at this age. That's why stories or a blankie are good, you can take them anywhere and they can associate them with their bedtime.

Other things you can introduce for wind-down dont need to be in his room. Just as an association that it's that time of day. Some use a dvd (same one every night). I use the drawer of other books as I mentioned. You could also use a particular toy, something low key. Just make it the same thing every night. If it's one thing Ive learnt that my boy thrives on is routine and repetition. He likes to know what's coming. But then not all kids are the same.

Good to hear you had some good nights there image But not so good about the bad ones that followed. After a few hours he may have just been beside himself and not known what to do to settle back off to sleep. Those nights arent much fun are they, especially if you had to get up for work in a few hours!! My advice for nights like this would be to choose a method and remain consistent if you can. By switching and doing different things it can be confusing to them. Easier said than done I know cos it's so stressful and you just want them to go to sleep!! If you started out with leaving the room like CC, and then ending up in the room but ignoring except to lay down he may have felt the trust was betrayed but then you were suddenly there again, hence then being difficult unless being picked up. So if you choose CC I think you have to see it through. Or if you remain in the room and do continual put down then you need to see that through.

I hope you had a better night last night!