Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

DD Screams every time I leave the room

Hi,

Anyone else experiencing this?

Since Christmas has been and gone my DD has suddenly started screaming the place down whenever I leave the room. She used to only do this if she was getting tired or a bit tetchy. I used to be able to leave her playing in my living room while I nipped out to put washing on, or get her lunch ready.

Now, she literally goes crazy the second I set foot outside the room. And I mean full on tears and the 'I can't breath because I'm crying so much' type of crying. Am having to carry her around with me everywhere.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just a phase?

Thanks,

Edie xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi, i could have written your post. DS seems to have turned into a really 'criey' baby. He had tonsilitis over christmas and i know his top teeth are tryting to come through and have been for ages, but he screams whenever anyone leaves, he has started to drop both naps during day. He has gone from being put down awake to sleep (for naps and bedtime)to crying hysterically as soon as he is put down. and then takes ages to console.

Im hoping its a phase because its upsetting to see him like it

I was going to post to ask if anyone elses lo doing the same

• Options
    How funny, my lo has been a nightmare with her day time naps as well. Her top two teeth have just cut - I wonder if this is anything to do with it?

I thought that maybe she has been spoilt over xmas as my hubby was at home and we were visiting family so she had constant company and attention. Hmmm, it is so difficult. I can't even leave the room to go to the loo without a full on melt down.

Really hope it will stop soon!

Take care,

Edie xx
  • Options
    Hello

Just a lil information I have on my side, I had read this for my elder son on Baby center some 2 years back. All this while our babies think they are part of us.. and suddenly now they have started realising that mommy and me are different bodies and mommy who is my world at this moment is leaving me and going. Its this fear that makes them cry. It takes them some months to know that mommy will be back if she is gone they will then start adjusting to your disappearance. But this separation anxiety is there to stay for sometime.

My DS did the same at that age. I started telling him mommy will COME BACK stressing on that word. So even when he went to nursery later on and I said this to him that mommy will come back... he was fine there and knew that mommy will come back to pick him up.

sorry about the long post... but hope it helps

xxx

Bubbly
  • Options
    That's really helpful thank you!
  • Options
    My lo started this the week before xmas, lasted maybe 3 weeks at its worst. She wouldn't let me out of her sight, which included nap times and bedtimes which is tough. I literally had to just sit it out and take her everywhere with me, the screaming and the look of utter fear and panic if I left her was awful! I came to the same conclusion as DarkCherry re separation anxiety. It's about 4 weeks on now and she is better but I had 2 weeks of virtually no sleep standing by her cot where she could see me before she nodded off every night, it was taking anywhere from 1-3 hours to get her off to sleep! She is still a little panicky at night but nowhere near as bad image
  • Options
    Wow, am glad to hear that your LO is better now. I hope my DD gets over this soon too. It is hard carrying her everywhere I go. My arms are killing me!! She's not a light weight!

Thanks for your post.

Take care,

Edie xx