Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Sept 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Any tips to help with feeling sick?

Hi I just wondered if anyone has any tips for when they are feeling sick. Most of the time i just feel sick without actually physically being sick. When I do feel sick I am struggling to concentrate when at work etc. This is my first baby so I don't have to be lively for any other children so once home I literally collapse into the sofa. I have tried ginger biscuits which helped but just wondered what else is working for fellow pregnant ladies?

Replies

• Options
    Hiya, I also suffered with nausea in my first Tri, and sorry to say, the only thing that really helped was moving into the second lol!!! I did find nibbling on biscuits and stuff alleviated it a bit!! Hope you're feeling better soon image
  • Options

Thanks Sid89 - I thought that might be the case but think I was hoping there was a secret cure out there that I had missed!! image

• Options
    Hi, I do find nibbling on anything plain helps throughout the day. Am scared to eat anything non plain now as a veggie hotpot with veggie sausages made me throw up Mon night and I felt so ill the whole next day!
  • Options
    Oh and flat coke helps me too, though not healthy but I only have a small amount and hardly any other caffeine x
  • Options

Thank you! I will try the flat coke idea.

Minieggsno1 - I know I am finding random things make me feel worse!

I will keep trying, thanks for the advice. xx

• Options

Eat every few hours hun, it can help prevent sickness, also heard bananas are good image x

• Options

Thanks Rachey! I am definitelty going to try that because I think sometimes I am going too long and then feel sick anyway from possible hunger. After a while it becomes hard to detect hunger feelings from within the nausea. Thanks image.

• Options
    Salty things are helping me this time round - salt and vinegar crisps or marmite on toast. If ginger works for you try getting some crystallised ginger from holland and Barrats or similar. Orange juice with to a of ice works for me too ..... But gives me rotten heartburn. Hope it passes soon x
  • Options

Hi Tulip1980,

Try eating more regular for start off, I found I waited too long to eat and then felt worse, dry toast with no butter is good, also dry biscuits such as arrowroot, ginger biscuits as suggested, flat coke too and crackers.  If sickness gets really bad like it did with me go to your doctors like I did, ended up with anti-sickness tablets.  Good luck hoep things get easier for you, I'm expecting my first baby too. My partner has just suggested actually being sick too! LOLimage

• Options

Thanks Lorna & herewegoagain!

I will definitelty try your advice. I've got my 2nd midwife appointment on Monday so am going to mention it to her and see if she suggests anti-sickness tablets. If not will persevere with the regular eating etc.

xxx

• Options
    No provs - You'll need to see your GP for anti sickness tablets, but they'll likely suggest antihistamines first as they're proven to work too. Good luck xxx
  • Options
    Try a pair of sea bands from boots, the travel sickness wrist bands they work really well too. I lived in mine last time and need to get some more now. I've also found sparkling water helps. Big hugs sickness is horrible x
  • Options
    Sipping ginger ale helped me for a while. Until I was sick after drinking it and now thought of it makes me heave. I just can' t stop eating. If I gaven't eaten anything for couple of hours i'm sick. Hopefully it will start to ease soon.
  • Options

sea bands helped me, and just eating something little every time I start to feel funny, ice lollys and cold things help too... feel better xxx

• Options

Sickness has been much worse the last few days (9+2 now). I tried the anti sickness bands yesterday and they did nothing for me. I've also tried carrying around a bag of dry cereal to nibble on which helped a little bit. The heaving and retching is making my throat sore and I ache but it's not often that I am sick. 

Did throw up several times this morning though so I climbed back into bed and called in sick at work. They aren't going to be happy as it's the 2nd time I've been off in february ill. I just couldn't face leaving the house in case i was sick again. Please hurry up these last few weeks and it starts to clear in the 2nd tri. 

• Options
    Hi guys I'm only 5 weeks pregnant so early I know but last week I was feeling very sick and dizzy, now I'm not that bad at all a little heart burn is this normal do you think for it to be there strong one min but not the next?? I still can not believe I'm pregnant I did 7 tests lol we have just had a cycle of IVF/ICSI so I'm anxious but also very exciting image x
  • Options
    Sipping ginger ale helped me for a while. Until I was sick after drinking it and now thought of it makes me heave. I just can' t stop eating. If I gaven't eaten anything for couple of hours i'm sick. Hopefully it will start to ease soon.
  • Options

Congratulations Joanne7 That is fantastic! I found out at 5 wks and didn't feel poorly at then from wk 6 it all changed. This is my first time so am not the best to give advice but i think everyone is so different. My friend had no symptoms at all with both pregnancies.   The doctor said to me not to look for symptoms just believe the test or tests in my case! When you get your booking in appointment with midwife they can answer a lot of questions.

Just an update for everyone who gave me advice about the sickness - This weekend I made myself eat more regularly and it has made a big difference, not feeling sick all the time and have a bit more of an appetite.

Thanks for your help. image.