Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stupid hospital Rant (grandad related)

So, having be told that he has cancer on his liver, bowel and lung, they have said that they are going to treat it with a tablet form of chemo.  He went yesterday for the appointment, they told him how he would need to take the tablets and the anti sickness drugs, and that he would be reviewed on the 25th March so see what effect the chemo drugs would have had.

Luckily my nana mentioned that he'd got to go on the 27th March to have a cassette thing to monitor his heart, as just before christmas he'd been having palpitations.  It's a good job they did because they told grandad that if he'd have had the chemo and he's got a problem with his heart then that could cause more trouble, as the chemo can affect his heart.

Why did the hospital not think to look to see if he'd got anything in his notes about having other appointments at the hospital and what they were for.  Surely  they would do this before starting someone on treatment for cancer?  Well actually, you'd think that regardless of what they were treating you for, it would be in your notes if you were under investigation for other problems.

So now my nana has got to try and re-arrange the appointment for the heart cassette thing because they won't start and treatment for his cancer until they've had the all clear that there's nothing up with his heart.  If they can't bring that appointment forward, that means it could be another month before the cancer is treated, by which time it could have advanced even more.

I'm fuming, my grandad says he's not bothered about getting treated, he's going to let the cancer take it's course, he's fed up of being messed about and having to go to appointments and things.  He was fine before all this happened yesterday, and now again everything feels like it's been put on hold, when we thought that we'd got a date for treatment to start.

I just want my grandad better, and for the big black cloud of worry that we've all go over us to go away Sad

Replies

• Options

That's awful, surely someone would've had the common sense to check his records or at the very least keep them updated. I hope your nana can get an earlier appointment for him. Big hugs to you xx

• Options

Thanks Dumble spud.  I just can't believe the incompetance.  My friend works at the hospital and when i was talking to her she said that it's procedure to check to see if there are any other appointments upcoming before the sort anything out.

What if my nana hadn't have mentioned it yesterday?  They could have started him on the chemo drugs, he could have had a heart attack or something and died, and it would have been their fault for not doing their job properly in the first place.

I'm just so angry at the moment.

• Options

It should be on his electronic hospital records as they have a list of every investigation awaited, but staff also rely on the patients and relatives giving full histories too but obviously things get missed though that's why electronic records shoukd be up to date and I'd think with him being in in December that should have been easily accessible.

Big hugs Hug

• Options

This is what i'd have thought CP, it's obviously a *** up on our hospitals part.  Someone somewhere obviously hasn't done their job properly.  It's a good job my nana opened her mouth.

Yesterday when they'd finished the appointment and in effect wasted nearly 2 hours of the cancer consultants time because he couldn't have the treatment anyway, my nana tried to get in touch with the nurse who was dealing with the cassette for his heart monitoring.  She spoke to a number of people who were supposed to be calling her back, and she's still awaiting the calls back.  

I understand that they are understaffed in most parts, but these are people's lives at stake.