Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Did you tell work??

Hi all

Im due to start IVF at the end of January and im in two minds as to whether to tell work or not.

On the one hand I dont want to as I dont want them to "write me off" with regard to promotion/pay etc but at the same time my contact says im entitled to 4 days off work if im undergoing ivf treatment and i think that would be helpful rather than having to take annual leave/keep making excuses why im not in the office etc

How easy is it not to tell work? I havent got my schedule yet so im not sure how time consuming/how often all the appointments are.

Id be interested to hear other people's experiences.

thanks girls

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun

We are not starting IVF yet but we have male problems so will probably be needing it some time in 2011. I too have been thinking about who we will tell when the time comes and as I am a school teacher I am not able to book days off when I want. Appointments for the tests and things that me and hubby have been having for the last few months have fallen in term time and so I had no choice but to tell our headteacher to get the time off. Although I would rather have not said anything I did feel relieved to have someone there who knew our troubles. I also have told my LSA and another teacher who I work closely with because these are the people who are going to affected by me not being there. Have also told one of the ladies in the office as she too suffered infertility in the past and knows what I am going through. I guess what I'm trying to say is I have told only the people who A) Need to know and B) Can offer support and experience.

So far the odd appointment here and there does not look suspicious but I guess with IVF the days off may be more prolonged so I am yet to decide whether to tell more people when we start but I would urge you hun to maybe tell just one or two people who you trust and who can offer you a hug when you're having a rubbish day - you will feel loads better for it - I did.

I wish you all the luck in the world and look forward to hearing your success story! XXX
  • Options
    I found that it was better for me to tell work. I have been through 2 cycles of treatment now and had to have scans 3 times a week in the middle of them which meant i never got to work until 10am. Apart from that the emotional side can be pretty hardcore at times and I found my managers (young women) were very supportive and allowed me to clear my diary for two weeks when it was treatment time. We also get three 'fertility days' which I have not had the chance to take yet but plan to.

Having said that I actually work in an HR dept and as i said I have women who understand who are my managers. I'm sure this would not be the case for everyone. The downside is that I am pretty sure that at least half the department now know. Lots would have put two and two togther anyway but disappearing and having to mention medical treatment to the odd person has sealed it! eveyone has been very kind so far tho!!

xxx
  • Options
    hiya,

I didn't tell work and I was lucky that my scans and appointments were either early morning or in my lunch hour. Luckily my boss and I spend lots of time out of the office so it was quite easy for me and he didn't notice (the joy of having a Blackberry!!).

Starting round 2 again and booked a week off as holiday - i have AL to take before the end of march and worked in between xmas and new year.

my appointments are scan yesterday (monday), scans monday, wednesday and Friday next week and then EC monday (two weeks time)and transfer Wednesday (two weeks time). i'll take the week off.

how well do you get on with your boss/ if you have an IVF policy you should be ok - they can not discriminate against promotions etc if you have told them!!!

good luck.

last time I had egg collection on a Friday so had that day off and the following week.
  • Options
    thanks for all your replies. I have my first appointment on 19th Jan when I will get my schedule so i think ill decide whether or not to tell work once I find out how much time I need to take off.

Ive been waiting for the 19th for what seems like years... so exciting but scary at the same time.

best of luck to all of you. Lets hope 2011 is the year for us image
  • Options
    I am waiting for my first appointment, which will hopefully be in Feb (tbc).

I think I would like to get signed off for a few days. We do have a very sympathetic GP and I think she would do this.

My boss is actually a nice guy, and very flexible about other things (e.g. working from home if you are having work done on your house), but I just would not feel comfortable telling him - it is so personal.

I am a bit worried some people might guess! I am in a trade union so do feel a certain amount of protection there - but I am uncomfortable about people finding out (or wondering, gossiping etc).
  • Options
    Hi

I def don't want to tell work at all, don't trust them I am going to have to lie not sure what I am going to say????