Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

really would like some advice.....

hi,

me and my partner are starting the IVF icsi treatment soon, totally scared and excited, whats it like? what are the chances of it happening first time?

please help someone...

han

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hey... Im kinda G/C this thread... but im also looking in to it, and would like all the info i can get about it... image

Im on the waiting list for IVF.. which can take years!! image But in the mean time we were told we could try ICSI - 2 cycles.. so seriously considering this, this year! image

XX
  • Options
    Hi hannah,

welcome! I think its normal to feel scared and excited! I am just in the egg stimulating phase of my 1st ICSI. I used injections to downregulate - they werent too bad to do and i got used to them after a while. They did make me quite tired and hormonal and a bit headachey.

Now I have to continue with the downreg injections, but also use another injection called gonal f, so thats two injections a day! Feel like a bit of a pincushion, but hopefully it's all worth it in the end. These injections have made me feel more normal again!

It really hasnt been too bad so far, The most annoying thing is having to go into your clinic regularly to be monitored, and also the 'ups and downs; of each part of the cycle, for example I had to down regulate for an extra week as my lining wasnt thin enough and it just felt like a other set back. But in some ways this 1st cycle has been exciting.

There is a site called fertility friends which I think is great as there are lots of women going though ivf with even threads for specific clinics. It also has a section of ivf/icsi diaries which are useful to read.

Mrs cupcake - icsi is basically the same as ivf, its just the way they fertilise the eggs thats different. They inject the sperm into the egss rather than mixing it with the eggs, so I would go for this, but I cant work out why you would have to wait for ivf but not icsi. Are you mixing it up with IUI?

Hope this helps and good luck xx
  • Options
    hi hannah?

is that you from lttc?

we started down reg injections on boxing day and they are fine. Got our baseline scan on jan 17th(theycouldnt fit us in before)so cant really tell you any more at the mo.

Success rates depend on many things, inc clinic, age, reason for having ivf/icsi etc your clinic should help you further. what clinic you using? x
  • Options
    hey ladies,

it is normal to feel scared but it s a really exciting time.

a really good book to read would be The Complete Guide to IVF: An Inside View of Fertility Clinics and Treatment by kate brian (2009)

it explains everything step by step. and its really cheap on amazon xx

it helped to answer some of my questions.

also my clinic is the same about IVF and ICSI, icsi has no waiting list but IVF has a 2 yr wait xx not sure why !!!
  • Options
    Thanx ladies this has helped me a bit, and its lovely to hear from others who are going thru the same thing, I think ive defo decided, that we will be going for ICSI...

The thing with the IVF/ICSI at our clinic, whilst on the waiting list for IVF, you can self fund for ICSI, which costs a tenth of IVF, We really couldnt afford to self fund IVF, but ICSI is do-able.

Im just a little bit scared of how invasive it all is, and everything we have to go through, physically and emotionally. I know that its helping s towards our dream little bundle... but it frustrates me to think, that there are soo many couples out there that think its the "easiest" thing in the world to fall preg!!

XX
  • Options
    wow def go for icsi if its cheaper! wish i was at your clinic, our clinic is ??3650 for icsi and that one of the cheaper ones i have found!

i know what you mean about everyone else falling preg at the drop of a hat, its so frustrating isnt it? still, this year WE ARE GOING TO GET PREGNANT!!!!

xx
  • Options
    really is not bad at all i did icsi in april 2009 but sadly my first did fail but in the dec 09 i was pregnant naturally and i am now sat writing this with my baby girl next to me so dreams do come true might ov took 6 years but she well worth the wait fingers crossed for you xx
  • Options
    pinkkt.... Thanx for ure success story (ok maybe not with ICSI, but u DID get that BFP image )

Thats fabby news... bet ure thrilled eh?? XX
  • Options
    mrs cupcake87 it was news at one time we thought we would never get and the journey we took to get her and she is only 4 months old i forgot what my life was like before her so keep positive i know sometimes thats hard when ur always thinking is it going to happen to me but it will sending lots ov baby dust over you xx image
  • Options
    hi Cupcake ....

wishing you the best of luck - would love to know where you are doing ICSI at 10th of the price of IVF - were on round 2 of ICSI and its over ??1000 more expensive to do ICSI that IVF in Surrey! about ??4500 (before drugs)

xxx