Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

New at this and need advice

Hi ladies we have been referred for ICIS due to hubby's low SA.

I was hoping that you lovely ladies might be able to help with a few queations?

How long did you wait from referral to 1st appointment?

From 1st appointment what examinations/scans/tests did you need and how long did this take?

What is down regging and does everyone need it?

What is the difference between long/short protocol and why do you get put on each?

we will be seen at a clinic in Manchester? anyone else Manchester based?

thanks in advance

gingerbean

Replies

• Options
    hi Orangebean

sorry you have been refered - hopefully you feel you are one step further......

to answer your questions:

45 days from referal to first appointment (PCT target)

After 1st appointment I had bloods (2 and 25 day), HIV (both of us), some others too (about 5 different things were tested - all one blood test) also chlymidia & smear tests, sperm test for hubby - all of my blood works I had done at my doctors (all tests have to be within 6 months of starting treatment) - hubby had sperm test at hospital.

not sure about why thye chose long or short protocol ... maybe someone else should be able to answer....

downregging ....this depends on whether you are on long or short protocol - long protocol is two weeks of down regging and then 10 days of injections. From start of cycle down regging starts on day 21 and mine will take about 52 days from period to egg collection.

downregging can be in the form of injections or nasal sprays - i'm going for nasal sprays as I'm not a massive fan of needles (gone from needle phobe to not a massive fan)

We are at the Woking Nuffield in Surrey.

good luck - ask away - this is my second cycle and we are private and did a mixture of IVF and ICSI last time due to sperm issues.
  • Options
    hi there,

sorry you are going through this and i have my fingers crossed for you.we are in the middle of ivf.icsi due to sperm problems.

i think each clinic is different for waiting times and wether you are private or nhs.

my time table, referral done on nhs and app within 4 weeks. within the next 4 weeks we had a lap and dye, sperm tests(2 done 1 month apart), day 3 bloods done again, hiv and rubella, scan and swabs done. We had our follow up app 6 weeks later. we were told then that we would need ivf/icsi and we have to pay(i have a 10 yr son)so from then on we are private so could start asap.

Waited for period to arrive in dec then started down reg injections(this is to put you in a menopause effectivley)on day 21. Next we have a scan on 17th jan (you can down reg for different amounts of time)then we will start injections to produce lots of eggs(hopefully) from day 1 of down reg to testing day our cycle will be over 7 weeks.

sorry there is so much info on here, just ask if you dont understand anything x
  • Options
    Wow! Thanks very much ladies, a lot quicker than I expected to be honest!

angelheart can I ask if your son is your partners child? Ihave a daughter from a previous relationship and I am wondering if I would be able to get NHS treatment or not?

thanks for the info most helpful!
  • Options
    hello there hun,

my son is from my first marriage and as far as i know if you, or your partner, have a child either from your current or a past relationship then you dont qualify for nhs funding(if the child is under 16). its well worth ringing your pct or going on their website to check for your area, but i was told this applies to all areas.

hope this helps x