Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I thought I would say hello

Hello ladies,

I used to post on this form a while back and then I stopped because I was fed up of reading about babies. My husband and I spent last summer going through various tests and we've had all the bloods, SA, scans and HSG etc etc etc (god I hated that!).

I came up normal but he has very low sperm count - it was almost zero. They found 'very occasional immotile sperm' and that was it. He had undescended testicles that were not operated on until he was about seven so I imagine that is why. He saw a urologist, who explained about sperm retrieval operations.

We applied for IVF funding via our local hospital at the end of September and this week found out we had got funding, not just for the IVF but for the sperm retrieval as well. We weren't even going to apply for that but the consultant said that we should as sometimes the PCT funds it, sometimes not. We were not expecting that and were so pleased when we found out, especially after the recent cuts.

So now we're just waiting for the IVF hospital (Woking Nuffield) to write to us with our first appointment. They said they thought it might be in February but that they have a bit of a backlog, and we are 25th in a queue of 30 (which I think shows how lucky we are).

Long journey ahead I am sure but really I can't wait to get started! I just hope it works and that they find some sperm.

xxxx

Replies

• Options
    My nephew was conceived on the first attempt of ICSI/IVF.

Just wanted to say good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. That is encouraging - it can happen then!
  • Options
    just wanted to say hello!

we are in the middle of our first cylce oc ivf/icsi due to hubbys poor sperm count,formation and mobility.

good luck and keep us posted!
  • Options
    Hi,

We have been to hospital fertility clinic today and they are going to refer us to the IVF clinic in 3 months, just awaiting tests for PCOS and hubby's hormone and chromosone results but doc at hospital said he thinks these will come back ok as my hubby has very low spem count and low mobility which seems to be the main issue.

Can't wait to get started.

Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm getting addicted to these forums again now and just can't wait to get started. Spent a load of pennies on Amazon last night buying a load of books about IVF!