Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First IUI might be abandoned

Hi Everyone

Took my clomid days 3-7, went for my first scan today (CD10) as I normally Ov early and they said that they may have to cancel this cycle as my lining is only 3.5 plus I have 4 folicles and they would prefer only 2!

So I have to go back on Thursday for another scan to see if the lining has thickened to at least 6 and to see how many of the folicles have grown.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any advice?

Cuddles xx

Replies

• Options
    Cuddles,

Just to let you know, I know a lady who had 10 follies on her first scan and a thin lining. By her second scan, one follie was dominant, the others had stayed the same size and her lining was thick enough for her to have her IUI. She's on her 2ww now.

Much luck.
  • Options
    Hi Cuddles,

My lining was only 4mm (I think, can't quite remember) on day 8 scan so they recommended another injection of menopur and a further scan on day 10. By day 10 lining had improved to 10mm (again, I think, can't quite remember, but the point is there was a big improvement in two days). This still wasn't quite as thick as they'd have liked but they still decided to go ahead with the cycle. Also I had 4 follies but only one dominant which they thought was "too good to waste".

Unfortunately mine was unsuccessful, but try to be reassured that a lot can happen in two days. Best of luck.

P.S There is an IUI thread below which some of us are on, come and join us if you want.
  • Options
    Hey hun

My most recent cycle i had 7 follies on day 9 scan! 5 one side, 2 the other. Lining 6mm.

By day 14, basting day I had 3 mature follies with a 12mm lining. The other follies never grew any further. I think when one or two get bigger it stops the others from growing.

Fingers crossed. Things do change very quickly. I have heard that if you use a hot water bottle to keep the womb area warm it encourages the lining to thicken. May be worth a try.

Good luck with your next scan

BB xx
  • Options
    Hi Everyone and thank you for your replies.

Been for another scan and the good news is that my lining is now 7.9. I still have 4 folies and all have grown to around 20mm so for this reason they have abandoned this cycle :cry:

We have also been advised to avoid BD to avoid multiples.

I am really gutted having come this far and there is part of me thinking if we have these folies why should we waste a chance, I know that getting a natural BFP at this stage is unlikely but isn't it still worth a try. Do you all think that I am mad if I ignore the advice to avoid BD'ing?

If no BFP this month then I will start again next cycle and they will probably reduce clomid to 25mg a day as the 50mg obviously worked too well.

I have also been told to go straight to A&E if I get any signs of hyperstymulation (SP?)

Hope everyone else is OK today?

Cuddles xx
  • Options
    4 follies at 20mm is a lot hun so I would take their advice. I know its tempting to bd especially when you know your chances of conceiving at all are so low, but the risks associated with possible multiples could be worse to cope with than the pain of not conceiving at all. Others may think differently but I personally would take their advice. It's hard I know.

I was told that the first iui is almost like a test to see what dosage of drugs you need. Try to see it as a positive thing that they now know how much to give you for a successful next round.
  • Options
    Hi there,

Having been on clomid and been desperate for a baby I know there can be a huge temptation to just go for it against advice as you want a baby so badly. And you think twins would be great.

However, a good friend of my sister's had the same situation and became pregnant with 4 babies. She was rescanned and in fact there were 5. The risks of 4+ are huge. She was advised to have a reduction to avoid losing them all which she did. I wouldn't wish that decision on anyone so i wouldn't take the risk xx
  • Options
    I do not have any experince of iui only ivf but I do have experience of abandoned cycles. I know what it is like to feel so completely gutted to be told that the advice is to abandon despite you feeling fine and things going just a bit too well then it becomes unsafe and I know it is hard to believe that things may play out to the worst case scenario but it can happen (you only have to see some of the stories here!)

I have always tried to follow the advice despite not wanting to because if there is a chance they are right then how would you feel?

Sorry this is not very helpful but am thinking of you hun and hope you can have another cycle v. soon xx
  • Options
    Cuddles, so sorry that this cycle has had to be abandoned.
  • Options
    Hi there

I had IUI with clomid (50mg) and the cycle in which fell I had 4 dominant follicles and I had triplets.

For me it was the best thing that ever happened to me but I was one of the lucky ones - I carried my babies to 35 weeks and have three gorgeous, healhty 10 months old now. However I am an exception as sadly there are significant risks with higher order multiples and you should bear this is mind.

S x
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your replies. I took everyone's advice and avoided BD'ing - think OH is pleased for the break!

Anyway since yesterday I have been having the worst ovulation pains ever, been unable to sit or walk far. I can only assume this is due to the OHSS. The hospital called me on Friday to say that my last blood levels were high and I need to go in for another scan this week to ensure that everything has gone away. Hey ho - now on the countdown to CD1 so we can try again!

Hope everyone else is OK and we get some BFP news in here soon!

xxx