Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

soon 42yr irregular - losing weight or not

Hi!  I'm writing from Europe as I've struggled to find an active discussion groups closer to home.  I just wrote a really long story about my situation but the clicked something wrong and lost it.  Well...maybe better for you guys...I try to summarize.  So basically I've had one visit to a clinic but felt I needed more thinking time.  I have one child 6 yrs conceived in the "traditional" way.  The problem is that I don't have a partner, I have always had very irregular period with long gaps and I'm turning 42 this year.  That's three problems.  I'm also overweight - one month ago bmi 36 now 34.  I've found a very good way of losing weight by eating healthily, following the official nutritional guidelines and am just now introducing physical exercise.  I feel so positive and determined about my lifestyle change.  So one of my questions is should I carry on like this for a few more months to come nearer normal weight, or should I start fertility treatments asap?  I guess I'm thinking how critical are these few months.  Ideally I'd like to experience pregnancy normal weight.  Last pregnancy started when my bmi was 30 and it was fine.  I don't know if this is just a silly thought in my head, but I'd love to experience it normal weight. Will I miss out on my only chance of having another baby or something horrible like that?  The doctor said I should lose 5kg (have already lost more) just to kickstart my hormones, not a crazy diet, no need to reach bmi 30.  But I didn't really discuss this in depth with her.  I just said I want to lose weight and I can do it.  I'm not sure if she believed me!  And now she's on holiday.  So just to set my goals - how much havoc do I do to my hormones with dieting and losing weight now?  How much difference timewise can a few months absence from treatment make?  My lab results showed this: AMH 5,2, FSH 6,3, LH 9,1, PRL 161, TSH 1,7, T4V 13.  Could anyone please make sense of these?  I had already told the clinic that I'm not going to go ahead with the treatments before I received this.  So the doctor of course gave only minimal comment saying they look fine for my age, some are even very good, sees no obstacle for conception.  What can you tell about these?  Before these results the doctor had said I might have PCO (would explain the irregular periods).  But presumably I don't based on these, or what do you think?  That was one of the reasons I got so scared about the whole treatment scenario because I read about hyper stimulation being common for those with PCOS, even if they're over 40.  But perhaps I didn't need to worry.  Finally, I've been thinking about trying home insemination while waiting for my dieting to end.  I'm assuming that I wouldn't get pregnant as the chances are so low.  So then I would be slimmer and could start the treatments at the clinic a few months down the line but meanwhile would have done something on my own to try to get pregnant. In case there was a lone ovulating egg waiting to be fertilized.  Would be shame to miss that.  (What do you think about this plan?)  So, I found out there's a sperm bank in Denmark who deliver to your door.  But today I found out that this is illegal in my country.  Hmm..I don't think I want to go ahead with it.  I don't even know what the penalty would be and don't want any criminal records.  But I could travel to Denmark and pick it up there, use in a hotel room.  The biggest problem is my irregular period.  I just ordered a whole bunch of ovulation tests (strips) online and invested in a new thermometer.  But it does seem hopeless.  How on earth could I catch an ovulation as it takes place about 14 days before the start of the next period.  I need a crystal ball!  Any ideas?  So this whole scenario is very tricky as I'd have to do a lot of guess work and book a hotel room in Denmark for quite a long period of time so that I don't miss an ovulation - if it ever happened...  Sometimes my cycle can be six months!    Doesn't sound very promising.  But on the other hand anything is worth I try.  I'm sure there would be lots of fun things to do in Denmark with my son.  Do you think it will be a good idea anyway to measure ovulation e.g. twice a day and temperature?  Would this data help the doctor at the clinic if I eventually go there?  (The strips are cheap.)  Although she would have to use meds anyway to try and get regular cycle/ovulation.  So these are my many thoughts and questions today!  Thanks for reading and please comment. :)

Replies

• Options

...forgot to mention that the blood test for these lab results was taken 3 days after the start of a period.

• Options

Sorry I can't help much, but a friend of mine who is undergoing ivf treatment in Gdansk Poland had to lose weight before her cycling Good luck with your journey