Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How to appeal/fight for NHS funding for your IVF

2»

Replies

• Options

Can anyone help me with an appeal letter, I live in Liverpool so was eligible for 2 free goes of ICSI.

1st round in dec was long protocol and I had 10 eggs all injected by icsi but only 1 survived overnight.  Had a 3 day transfer and unfortunately failed the day before my test date.

We were given no explanation as to why it didn't work or what may have gone wrong. No further testing Just told we could try a different way.

2nd round in May was short protocol and I had 9 eggs collected all injected by icsi but again only 1 survived overnight.  again had a 3 day transfer but wasn't hopeful as embryologist's told us it was 'hanging in there'. Today the day before test it has failed again.

I know NICE guidelines recommend 3 goes, has anyone ever appealed and been successful??

thanks in advance

J

• Options

Hi there - it's great reading these posts, reminds us that we aren't alone!

I'm 41, married to a wonderful man who has a wonderful daughter of 16 from a previous relationship. I was diagnosed at 32 with severe endometriosis and have had multiple operations and treatments. The only time I managed to get pregnant was at 34 and resulted in an angel baby. 

We have continued to try and conceive but it hasn't happened and this year I was also diagnosed with hydrosalpinx which means I really won't be having children naturally.

We have decided to go for IVF, and that requires another operation to tie my tubes first, and at 41 I could then still qualify under the new guidelines in the North West. BUT  because my husband has a child from a previous relationship I am not eligible.

I have the support of my GP and we are just about to build our appeal case - whilst my glass is always half full in my view we have been through enough and tried everything and I feel that I'm being penalised for a marriage choice, and after all the heartache it's a bitter pill to swallow. 

Does any one have any advice or information related to a successful appeal submission? 

Much love,

Sarah xxx

• Options

Hi ladies

I'm so happy that i have seen this post.

my parter has cystic fibrosis so we went through icsi back in 2010. Unfortunately we miscarried and had no other goes as nothing was frozen. The 'postcode lottery' is preventing us from having another go however, I am currently putting through for execptional funding but don't think it will be successful which means taking it to the ombudsman.

This is so stressfull, has anyone here ever put through for execptional funding or had to take your case to the ombudsman? 

• Options

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or whether I’m banging my head again a wall... My husband and I have just gone through ICSI treatment due to him having a blockage... we were told we are not entitled to any funding due to his previous marriage with 1 child concieved through ICSI. We managed to get the funds together for a 1 turn however the whole process failed before fertilisation. We had no explanation as to why, we were just told it’s bad luck. My husband has sperm froze however it’s the full cost again and it’s a fortune. What I would like to know is why myself of child bearing age with no fertility issues, a BMI within normal parameters and no children of my own, is not elegible for any funding?  NICE guildline and NHS England state woman under 40, with a BMI within normal ranges, regardless if funded by self or state are entitled to 3 IVF/ICSI treatments. why am I being penalised for my husbands previous marriage and why as a young female do I not have any rights or entitlements of my own. I have contacted my local MP as I would like some answers.. is anyone else suffering like this..