Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Appt with Consultant

Hi Ladies

Well today we had an appt with our consultant as I have high natural killer cells. Had to get a private appt as we start our IVF journey on Sunday and needed to make sure I didn't need to start taking any other medication for the NK cells.

Well after a 40 minute wait (for which he did not apologise for!), we were told that because my NK cells are really high, he has devised a new treatment plan which includes steroids, but also a heparin injection and an IV drip. The only downside, even with going on the NHS the IV is ??285 per injection and there will be 3! Wow, this is going to be an expensive baby!

We have discussed it and because of the cost involved, we are only going to try this treatment once and if it does not work, then we will have another go trying the IVF on its own and if all else fails it will be adoption.

Spending all this money, I truly hope this has worked, we have been through so much over the last 4 years, for this not to work will be absolutely devastating. We are the only ones in both families without children and the pressure I feel is immense, even though our families are both supportive, it just makes me feel a failure.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
Sarah
xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Sarah

I find I can get overwhelmed looking at the bigger picture - ie. how many tries you can afford and what might happen if things do not work out.

Someone once suggested thinking of it all as a journey through a house and with each obstacle overcome and appointment done it is like going through another door. Sounds silly now I am typing it but kind of works for me!!

Good luck hun xx
  • Options
    HI Debbie

Thanks for your message. That is a really good way of dealing with it. Because we have waited for the IVF, it hasn't been too bad, now it is all I am thinking about planning treatment etc.

Think I will try and use your method, sounds good.

Thanks
    Sarah
  • Options
    Hi Sarah,

Like Debbie says I think you need to try hard not to let this whole thing get you down and try and look at the positives - it is great that you know about the NK cells and are doing something to treat them. I am sure that there are women out there having unsuccesful cycles who didn't know they had this problem and have no idea why treatment isn't working for them. You're lucky in that sense, although it's annoying that you have to pay so much more for the IVs.

I know what you mean about feeling a failure. I am in remission from cervical cancer after being diagnosed last year and for a long while I really felt like my body had let me down and was trying to kill me (melodramatic moi?) I then found out that I have a dodgy cervix and and PCO - for a little while I felt like all the odds were against me. I thought that even if I do get pregnant, I could lose the baby due to an incompetent cervix (I will definately need a stitch if I get pregnant).

Now i'm trying to look at things in a different way - I am trying to think that I am actually very lucky that I know about my cervical issues and that I will be having all the best treatment to get me pregnant and I will be very well monitored if I do get pregnant to make sure I stay that way.

Sorry for banging on about me, I just really wanted to let you know that I know exactly how you feel and say not to be hard on yourself.

I will be rooting for you as I am sure all the ladies on here will be too!

Sarah xx
  • Options
    Sarah,

Thanks for your post, your story really puts mine into perspective and I should be grateful that I am healthy and have a loving caring, supportive husband.

What will be, will be and there is not much I can do, but keep positive and stop looking at all the negative things, and you are right, at least I am aware of the NK cells and we are fortunate to be able to treat those whatever the outcome.

Self wallowing over with.

Thanks
    Sarah
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi Sarah, IVF is such an overwhelming, emotional rollercoaster, I hope all goes well for you and each obstacle is overcome. Try to stay positive easier said than done I know! Have you thought about trying reflexology and hypnotherapy alongside your ivf treatment? as I felt that it definately helped me. x
  • Options
    HI MandyEvs

I have tried reflexology in the past, whilst I did feel quite relaxed afterwards, I am not sure how much it helped with treatment. I just need to keep my mind on other things and stay positive.

Thanks
    Sarah
  • Options
    Mrs ward
    please don't be hard on yourself regarding feeling a failure. Your
    family would be devestated if they knew how
    you felt.
    Try to take them out of the picture when you are doing the treatment. Your doing this for you not them so focus on how you think and feel and try to take the pressure off.

• Options
    Justttc
    Thanks for your message.