Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

timescales

Hi Girls
I was hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of how long the whole icsi process normally takes.
We had an appointment at the Glasgow Royal on the 30th October, they told us that we where at the top of the waiting list and that we should hear from them within two weeks. Well I phoned and was told that we missed the cut off for the November pull by 1 day due to our doctor not typing up a letter until the 3rd of Nov! So now we have been told that we should get our first appointment through in January.
What I wanted to know was what happens and how long does it take between them taking blood to do the initial tests to getting started on the meds etc. We are on nhs so not sure if that makes a difference.

Also just wanted to say that i'm finding it really useful reading other stories and I I think there giving me some hope back! So just wanted to say thanks really, and good luck to everyone. xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Dani,
    How annoying about your doc not getting the letter done in time....althiugh seems a bit unfair of the clinic really. However, at least you can now enjoy christmas and have a few bevvies safe in the knowedlge that you will be starting treatment in 2010.

The timescales do vary greatly according to area, clinic, demand at the time and personal circumstances. I perosnally have ahad to go privately, so my experience has been that I had my initial consulttation for IVF and 3-4 weeks later I have had my egg collection!! But I know some people have had to wait a few months to get things sorted.
    When you go for your initial cons there are certain tests that they will need to have the results for including:
    Recent FSH / LH / oestrogen / AMH tests for you
    Recent sperm test for your partner
    Recent negative results for both you and your partner for HIV, hep B, hep C and chlamydia
    Recent test from you showing you are immune to rubella

There will be lots of consent forms and so on for you to fill in.

Depending on what protocol you are on, you may have to go oon the pill for a little bit first. As the name suggests the short protocol is quicker than the long one! Ask away if you have any more questions xx