Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Assisted conception following Cheamotherapy

Hi All, I did have a login but forgot my log in details) I only posted once so doubt anyone would remember anyway but hi again and before I carry on good luck! I read posts on here all the time and follow a lot of peoples stories.
I was just wondering has anyone had to go down the assisted route because of Cheamo? My husband has been ill with Cancer (huighly treatable form thank god) and this week he began banking sperm for IUI after his cheamo(the cheamo kills his sperm count) . Luckily this is coming to the the end of his treatment its just one course and he should be okay again image however Im getting frustrated because no one is answering our questions about fertility. It pretty important to both of us and I have no idea how all this works, how long we have to wait till we can go down the IUI route, how much we get funded on the NHS etc all they have said is 'provisions will be made' has anyone had a similar experiance or know anyone who has? We already have one little boy so we are extremly lucky I know and if we can't have any more of course we will be gratefull for what we are blessed with but originally we planned a big family and if we have the chance to have more we really want to take it!(have been trying for a few months already while he was still fertile) I just have no clue what the hell happens! I know there probably aren't many people in this situation but if anyone can enlighten me in anyway at all I would be so gratefull.
Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Hi Mims, I'm so sorry that you've found yourself in this position. Wishing your DH a very speedy recovery. I'm afraid I don't have the answers for you. All I know is that 'regular' IVF on the NHS (i.e. through infertility not associated with Chemo) is usually only available for those with no children. I don't know if this is the same in your circumstances or not.......

It may be that the NHS will provide free storing of your DH's frozen sperm but that you will have to go to a private clinic or pay the hospital to go through the IUI process. It's nowhere near as expensive as IVF so don't worry too much about the money side of things. Concentrate of getting your DH back in shape. I look forward to hearing of his remission soon.

Sorry I've not been much help.

xx