Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

IVF update & again your help x

Well I went to see the cons.

Good news, he has sent a letter to my gp in order that we can get our bloods done as opposed to paying privatley. He sed these needed to be done between cd 1-7....have I got this right?

I will be on the long protocol, I have also got the mountain of paperwork to complete and get back to him asap.

On my handout it sed I have to call the cons on CD1 and then start sniffing on CD21.......

does anything happen in between?
Does this have any side effects?
What happens when I start bleeding......do I start injections that day.

My head is all over the place.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs Bee x x x x

Replies

• Options
    Hi,

Think I had my bloods done on day 2 or 3 of my cycle. Don't know if there was a reason for this but had to wait for a period to come and then didn't start down regulating until day 21 of the following cycle (nearly 7 weeks later). My day 21 fell on a sunday, got an appointment for the thursday before that where we had to go in for a mock embryo transfer, signing of consent papers and was given the drugs and shown how to use them. I am not sniffing for down regulation, have to inject every day at the same time. After having taken the down regging drugs for around 2 weeks had to go into the unit for a ultrasound which confirmed that down regulation had taken place (this is after your period has finished although I was still spotting a little). If all goes well you should start your stimulating injections after that scan if your unit works the same as the one I am at.

The only side effects I had from the down regulation drugs was night sweats but they weren't as bad as I'd imagined, have only just started stimmulating injections so not sure on them yet.

Good luck xx
  • Options
    Mrs Bee I think the bloods are done so they can get a reading of your FSH and your Osetrogyn levels. I had mind done on a random day as I have PCOS and very irregular periods.
    I have just received all my paperwork too... isn't there loads!!! We are sitting down on sunday to sign it all.
    Pleased you managed to get them on NHS rather than going privately for the bloods.
    xxx
  • Options
    Sorry I can'r be of any help becaue I'm on the short protocol but good luck xx
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies......Rachie I am doing my paperwork on Sunday night, shall think of you!!!!

Mrs Bee x x x
  • Options
    Hey honey,
    I'm afraid I'm not 100% sure as I was on short protocol, but I don't think you'll be doing anything until you start sniffing.
    FSH, LH and AMH should be done between 2-5 (but 1-7 probbaly ok too if that's what cons said). AMH can be done on any CD.
    The paperwork is not too bad hon. Try to stay chilled as much as physically possible! They will take care of everything and do the worrying so you don't have to. Loads of luck and ask away if any more questions xxx
  • Options
    BTW which sniffer are you on? I was on nafarellin, it tasted a bit gross, and gave me horrible headaches for first 2 days and felt a bit rubbishy but went away after a few days and then no side-effects after that. Most people seem to find the down-regging drugs worse than the stimming drugs xx
  • Options
    Hey TBD.......so pleased for you, I hope I am as lucky as you x

Back to the sniffing business, I am going to be on Buserelin. DH and I are having a drive out to the Lister on Sunday night to get our bearings and where to park etc!!!! We have the open night on the 7th, still feel nervous about it but we are all in the same boat I guess.

If you dont mind me asking, from what you have said it seems our treatments are pretty simular, how much would you say it all cost you? If you dont want to say I wont mind, but im stressing as there seems to be a charge for everything!!!!!!

Looking to get bloods sorted next week, AF due Tuesday, Im secretly hoping she wont come and all this worry is for nothing, but with DH SA being so poor I can but dream!

Hope you are ok and still taking things easy, I bet it hasnt suck in yet.

Mrs Bee x x x
  • Options
    Hey MrsBee, good plan to check it all out. We parked just over the bridge in Battersea Park car park (as that isn't in congestion zone). The open night will be absolutely fine....everyone just keeps to themselves. It's just a presentation really....very factual.

My tx cost around ??7000, not worked it out properly yet. It does mount up. Blood tests were not included which we didn't realise beforehand. Going to blastocyst cost an extra ??500 and freezing embryos cost anouther ??850. But it's really good to get both of those two things so worth spending the extra. It is a lot and quite scary. Try to leave the worrying to your DH though!

I think we all hope AF won't come!!! And there have been many stories where it doesn't, so you never know sweetie.

Thanks for asking after me, no not sunk in at all! But am very happy, and pretty anxious as well....

Love TBD xx
  • Options
    When I went to see the cons, he sed that when they take the eggs out, I have 2 choices -

1. I can get a call after about 2/3 days asking me to go back in and have a amax of 2 put back in and the others frozen, as you can produce 10 eggs.

2. I wait to 5 days and see which of the 2 eggs survive the longest, this wil increase my chances from 40 - 70 % but may mean I wont have any to freeze.

What do you think, what did you do??
  • Options
    Hey Hon, is this at the Lister?

My understanding is that you cannot really make this decision until you get nearer the time.....it all depends on how many eggs you got, what quality they are, whether they fertilise, how many are still going by day 2/3. The day after egg collection the embryologist phones to tell you how many have fertilised. 2 days later they phone again to tell you how many are still going and what the quality of the embryos is. If there are no clear 'winners' at this stage and you have a good number (e.g. 6 or more) embryos, they may suggest taking the embryos to blastocyst, and do a day 5 transfer. Going to day 5 does not mean the embryos will be any better really, just that the embryologist is more able to select the best one or two embryos.

We were lucky, I had 8 eggs collected. 7 were suitable for injecting with sperm. All 7 fertilised, and by day 3 they still could not tell which were the best ones as they were all still going. By day 5 we had 4 perfect quality blastocysts. We had 2 put back in and 2 frozen....and as you know it worked!!! At Lister they only freeze the best quality embryos.

Try not to worry about this yet. The embryologist will make most of the decision for you, they are experts at this. The last thing they want is to end up with none by day 5, so they will help you make the right decision. But, if the worst did happen and there were none still going by day 5, it is very likely they would not have been still going inside you either.

Personally, we agreed that we would get to blastocysts if we could. Hope that helps xxx
  • Options
    BTW, this will all be explained in detail at the open evening!