Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

One embryo put back or two?

Hi there,

We saw our consultant last night and will be starting ICSI in about 4 weeks time due to my DH's levels being consistently pretty bad. The consultant advised that because I am healthy and ovulating normally with regular cycles etc and am a reasonable age (31) that they will probably only put back one grade 1 embryo at egg transfer (fingers crossed we get to that stage!) He said this doesn't reduce the chances of pregnancy but does reduce the chance of twins/multiple births which is something they are targeted on lowering and also very cautious about. Obviously at this stage my main concern is the chance of pregnancy not the quantity but I am really worried that by only having one embryo transferred back this will reduce my chances - can anyone give me any advice based on their situation or past experience?

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    I was the same as Mrs Amanda, we had two embryo's put back but only one stuck and became our daughter. We didn't really get a choice the clinic just told us the plan. I do wonder what would have happened if only one had been used what position I would be in now?So in hindsight it worked out best for us to have the two however I completely agree with MrsAmanda that its a personal choice. Do what you feel is best for you.
    Hope this helps a bit!
    Rhian x
  • Options
    Hi,

We are starting the nasal sprays on the 20th, and have thought long and hard on this one too. At the moment, we are thinking two - hopefully there will be two to be put back! The way I think of it is - We would prefer one baby to two, but two babies rather than none. We want to give ourselves every chance of getting pregnant. Clinics are trying to get the number of multiple births down, but you have to remember, this is your decision, your body and your embryo's. If you decided on one, and it failed, would you regret that decision? Or would you be ok in the understanding that it was the best decision for you. It is a very personal thing, and you have to do what feels right for you.

Good luck xxx
  • Options
    Hiya Sunshine,
    I have a slightly different perspective to the other ladies. This is something we also deliberated over prior to and during ICSI - our clinic was also v keen just to put one back especially because I'm young and healthy (male factor infertility). I can very much relate to feeling concerned abou the possible reduced chances with just 1 but our clinic was adamenet their statistics did not back up this belief. I asked a similar question and got some really interesting replies...
    http://www.babyexpert.com/chatroom/topic/138582

Anyway, we went against medical advice and decided on 2 embryos (blastocysts). We ended up with triplets and sadly lost the identical twins earlier in the pregnancy. This was a heartbreaking experience, although obviously am eternally grateful that I am now 32 wks pg with 1 healthy baby.
    I often wonder what would have happened if we'd just had one....would we still have our 1 healthy baby, would I have had a mc with twins, would the twins have survived because they weren;t fighting for resources, would we have had a different embryo altogether put back (we had 4 perfect quality so just down to fate which 2 the embryologist put back).
    I will never know.
    And I don;t really know if we made the right choice (although having our little baby kicking inside me suggests maybe we did...).
    But I never considered the possibility of triplets...just never though it would 'happen to me'....it would have been such a high risk and best-case scenario I'd probably have 3 little babies in SCBU at this point.
    I really don't know what the best thing is to do, even after all this, and as the others have said it is really a personal decision. As long as you've weighed up the pros and cons and are clear on the possible consequences either way, then you can make your own decision (and don't be pushed into one by anyone else).

Hope that helps and best of luck with your treatment x

[Modified by: tinybabydancer on June 08, 2010 05:26 PM]

• Options
    Thanks for all your replies, it is really a lot to think about and discuss with my husband too. He is keener on one but I am still undecided. At least we have a little while to think about it. I have only just got over the shock of having to have ICSI so now I am preparing myself for the rollercoaster ahead and all the decisions and possible highs and lows.
    Tinybabydancer - your story really made me think - thankyou for sharing.
    I will keep you all posted xx
  • Options
    Hi Sunshine,
    My story is similar to TintBabyDancer. I had 2 put back last year & both split! I was then faced with selective reduction & was only given a 10/20% chance of leaving the hospital with live, heathy babies. We stuck to our principals & refused the reduction.
    At 21 weeks I lost all of my girls! We had to arrange a funeral & register their births & deaths....it has been hell. I'm back on treatment now & like you thinking what do we do. I know its easy to think well if they put two in great...thats my family if it works but I would seriously think about one embryo. I don't want to frighten you but I feel I was silly & wouldn't like anyone to be in the same position I was.
    What ever you decide do keep us posted & good luck xxxx