Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

OHSS question

Hi,
I should probably be looking through the forum properly to get the answer to this, but have only a few mins so have a quick question, that's been worrying me today and perhaps you could help. Basically I'm due for egg collection on IVF on Friday but this week I've had OHSS (although no-one has said it's particularly serious). I've got 30 eggs and my estrogen levels are over 15,000. I've been feeling really terrible - bad stomach aches, nausea and absolutely shattered. They're keeping an eye on things and I'm having daily bloods, but I can't seem to get the level down - even though I stopped injecting three days ago it has gone up. They can't do egg collection until the blood level is normal, and they told me this morning that there's a bit of a risk I'll lose the eggs and will have to give up this cycle. I've been doing this whilst working - so there's been a lot of rushing around from appointments back to work, and trying not to annoy my boss more than I have to! I'm really scared I won't even get to the egg collection stage - which is something I hadn't even considered, I was more worried about fertilisation / implantation / keeping it in the womb! Now I might not even get that far! Has anyone had this and if so, is there anything I can do - apart from drink lots of water?
Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    Hey Lilly, oh poor you sweeti, really feel for you. I was told I was at risk of OHSS due to my age (27) but as you know this has not been the case for me as I only have 6-9 follicles. It's so strange that we have the exact opposite problem but have all the same worries, as i am also now terrified that I won;t get any eggs on collectin day, which I hadn't really contemplated either. Had always assumed actually fertilising and keeping them would be the hard part for us.

It sounds as if you ar being closely monitored which is a really good thing and I'm sure they will do everything they can to avoid cancelling. I have heard of some people with OHSS having EC but having to delay ET until better. I also know of people who have 'coasted' (whoch sounds like what you are doing if you are not taking any drugs) and have ended up pg so don't lose faith! There are a couple of links on Fertility Friends (below) which my be of some use. Hope someone in the know comes along to help you soon. Keep us posted sweetie and try if you can to trust the experts (something I am really struggling with but it is true) xxxxx

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54639.0.html

http://www.rcog.org.uk/womens-health/clinical-guidance/ovarian-hyperstimulation-syndrome-what-you-need-know
  • Options
    Thanks TBD!!!!! I posted on your thread just now, and gotta go (boss on prowl) but wanted to say thanks for replying, and for the advice ... all the best for tomorrow x
  • Options
    No worries Lilly....LOADS OF LUCK to you too sweetie xxx