Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

LOOKING FOR INFO IF ANYONE CAN HELP?

Hi all,
lots of you probably know me from ttc and ltttc. For those who don't I'm almost 41 and have a dd-nearly 5. I have been ttc via diy donor artificial insemination for over 18 months now-I think I've had 21 attempts but have lost count! I have looked into IVF abroad-probably using donor eggs as well as sperm due to my age but now my donor-who has years of experience and a lot of sucess is suggesting IVF as soon as possible.
I won't be influenced in any decisions by him but think it is worth investigating all my options.
Because of my circumstances it would be private treatment so I'm ondering if anyone else who is undergoing private treatment can give me some idea about the costs involved and whether for treatment there is a maximum BMI cut off point-which I am presuming there is.
I suspect treatment will be so pricey that I won't be able to afford to eat which could solve the BMI issue!!!
Thanks very much for any help that anyone may be able to give.
Helen.xxx
ps if anyone would prefer to email me rather than put costs on here that would be fine.

Replies

• Options
    Hiya Helen! That's great your donor has suggested IVF! I have spent around ??7000 on my first cycle of ICSI (but that is in a London clinic and includes blastocyst culture and freezing extra embryos). IVF is about ??1250 cheaper, but you may have to spend a bit more than I did on drugs (due to being older sometimes have to be on higher doses). I am not sure if you will have to spend more as well because of it being with a donor...

If you have a look on the HFEA website:
    http://guide.hfea.gov.uk/guide/

Then you can find your local clinics and their success rates for your age. Most of the clinics have websites with their price lists, but I would budget around ??6000ish.

I'm afraid I cannot help with the BMI query, but some clinics do have cut-offs and some don't. However, I understand that IVF is generally more successful with BMI in the normal range.

Good luck! xxx
  • Options
    Thanks TBD, I'll have a look on HEFA. I hope your embies are still tucked up nice and snugly. I think the only way to do it with my donor in this country is for him to attend as 'partner'. He's done it before sucessfully but obviously it would have to be at a different clinic!!!!
    H.xxx
    H.xxx
  • Options
    H, I'm sure I've seen on the price lists a price for 'known sperm donor' - it just costs more!! Not sure why really, that seems a little unfair really.
    It shouldn't be too hard to say you're partners though and you genuinely HAVE been trying with him for a long time so that part would be true anyway. Just bear in mind that you will both have to sign a load of consent froms and that he will have some rights over any embryos that are created. Plus he will have to go for blood tests and sperm analysis aswell which will cost you extra unless he manages to get them done through his GP. If you do go for an appt make sure you have a story straight about when you got together and when trying since etc as they probably will ask you that xxx
  • Options
    Hi Helen

We spent ??6,000 on our first ICSI cycle, including all the diagnostic tests at the beginning. Due to my age, I did the short protocol (straight into stimulation with no down-regulation beforehand). The fact that I didn't need the downregging drugs offset the extra cost of having higher doses of the stimming drugs.

We've looked into treatment abroad - the consultant mentioned donor eggs when we had our review meeting after ICSI #1, and since my eggs and DH's sperm are both rubbish, if we went down the donor route we'd go the whole hog and have donor embryos. We could get that in the Czech Republic (among other places), and because it doesn't involve you taking drugs or having a retrieval, the price I've seen quoted is only ??!,000. I'm not sure whether you have to contribute to any of the costs of the person donating the embryos, though.

Good luck, and feel free to e-mail me if you have any more specific questions I might be able to help with xx
  • Options
    Hi Helen,

We had ICSI at CARE Fertility in Northampton and adding everything up (including freezing 2 embryo's and hubby sperm) we reckon we spent ??5700.

We did get most of our blood tests done under the NHS including hubby's karyotyping (gene test)

Our clinic advised a BMI less than 35.

Hope that helps image

xxxx
  • Options
    Hi Helen,
    we are undergoing ICSI at SEFC in January, so far we have spent about 1000 on all tests etc and will be paying between 4 -4500 in January for the actual treatment. If you look at the SEFC website they give you case studies for all different treatments and explain how much each costs it's very informative.
    LDOM - that's very interesting - I come from Prague / Czech Republic (lived in UK for 10 years) and actually had a look into pricing in Prague as I could have stayed with my family for that time - I went to the top fertility clinic in Prague and was actually given TWO price lists - one for "foreigners" and one for "me" as I am czech and as they put it "czech speaking" - the difference was huge!! However after realising how unpractical it would be to undergo treatment in Prague time wise we decided to "stick to the UK" - plus it's nice to come to your own home after all tests and the actual treatment in January...
  • Options
    Hi Helen, hope you're well. I'm sure you could pass off your donor as a partner.....if not - I'm sure it's acceptable to have a known donor, as TBD says, but may cost more. I am due to start IVF in the New Year (one go of NHS) and I've been looking at alternatives for afterwards just in case it doesn't work. I found this website that is really useful if you are thinking of going abroad

http://www.ivfineurope.co.uk/

Anyway, HTH.

xxx

• Options
    Thankyou very much for all your help ladies. My donor is happy to carry on whilst I save up as theres no way I could afford it at the moment and I don't think that I could take out a lone and have the treatment fail and still be paying for it years down the line IYSWIM.
    Unfortunately by the time I have saved I may need donor eggs-which again makes going abroad a more realistic prospect.
    I shall follow your journeys to pregnancy on here if you don't mind so that I will be better informed if it becomes an option for me.
    I have eveything crossed that you will all be holding your babies by 2011.
    Helen.xxx