Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Start supracur on tuesday, bit nervous about it all!

Hi all,
don't post on here very often but often read your posts and find them very useful! Me and dh have been ttc for 2 and a bit years now and are about to start IVF. I've read a couple of posts about the long and short protocols and am sure i'm on the long, but have read that some of you have had to take the pill first, what is this for and is it the long or short protocol? Cos i haven't got to do this and start supracur on tuesday.
Also, just wandering if anyone could fill me in on the side effects you experienced taking supracur and menopur?
My schedule says that i go to theatre the week of the 21st so could well be having my embro transfer on christmas eve, very exciting!!
Any advice or hints you could me would be appreciated!!x
:\)

Replies

• Options
    Heya Tinkerbelle, sorry to hear you're having to go down this route....but great that you're getting started now. I am having IVF as well and am just waiting to see when my embryo transfer will be. It definitely sound like you are on the long protocol from what you say. At the clinic I'm at the long protocol does involve going on the pill for a couple of weeks. My impression is that it is more to control when your period will arrive so that treatment can be worked out to fit in with the clinic and your own schedules. But I could be wrong (I'm still new to this myself really!). But it does seem that every clinic has their own protocols that all differ slightly. I personally was on the short protocol because I wanted to get started this year and they did not have time to do the long protocol this year!
    I have not been on supracur or menopur, so cannot help too much there. But I got a few headaches and nausea from the down-regging meds. And I was very hormonal with the stimming meds. A lot of people get a lot of bloating and pain in the ovaries (where the follicles are growing) with menopur I think. I think the higher the dose you are on the more side-effects you are likely to get, but they affect different people in different ways.
    How exciting that by chrsitmas you could be PUPO (Pregnant until proven otherwise)!!!!!!!!!!!

My main advice is try not to plan ahead too much, take each day as it comes, see each step as another hurdle that you have achieved. Eat well, rest lots, don't get too stressed (if possible!), have a generally good lifestyle. Eat plenty of protein (good for egg quality apparently) and fruit / vegetables. Drink pineapple juice and brazil nuts before embryo transfer (good for the lining of womb apparently). Some people go for acupuncture, but I didn't. I did use a acupunc style CD by Zita West though. I have been trying to listene to it each night. Good luck hon and ask if any more questions xx
  • Options
    Hey Tinkerbell and TBD,

I'm sorry to jump in but TBD on another thread you were talking about blood tests AMH and FMG - what are these for? Im worried I might be at the wrong levels and my last glimmer of hope will be gone.

Tinkerbell, I wish you all the very best hun, I start my IVF in Jan...wish it was now though!

Mrs Bee X X X

• Options
    Hey Mrs Bee, no worries. The AMH (anti mullerian hormone) test is a test of ovarian reserve. It depends on your age as to what is normal, and there is not too much clarity over what is a good level yet (as it is quite a new test), but I think anything ABOVE about 10 is good. FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) is another test that can help assess ovarian reserve (but thought to be less accurate as it can vary month to month). Anything BELOW about 10 is good for this one.
    However, plenty of people have got pg with different levels to these hon, so try not to worry too much. Your clinic will use these levels to decide what drugs and doses to put you on. So even IF you had low ovarian reserve, that doesn't mean you have no chance, just that they may have to give you a higher dose to get your ovaries going, and that you MAY get less eggs, but hopefully still good quality ones.

Try not to worry yet Mrs Bee. Have you had these tests done already? xxx
  • Options
    Thankyou girls, you're all so helpful. Hope everything goes well for all of you! Good luck with your embryo transfer TBD!!x
  • Options
    Hi Tinkerbelle

I've been on Menopur to stimulate my ovaries as part of IUI treatment.

In terms of side effects, I found I got a bit of a headache about 6-8 hours after the injection. I got around this by drinking plenty of water and I didn't get any headache when I injected in the evening, as I probably slept through it. The headaches weren't too bad, and I never needed to take pain killers for them.

I got twinging pains in my ovaries, but only when I was actually releasing the eggs (brought on by a trigger shot of pregnyl). This was much the same as the OV twinges back in the good old TTC days before I started pumping myself full of hormones.

I injected the Menopur at home in my tummy. The nurse showed me how to do it, and it was very easy indeed. The needle was very small and fine, and it honestly doesn't hurt. I was on a dose of 150ml every other night for the first part of my cycle, with a view to stimulating up to three follicles (the aim of IUI obviously being not to generate loads of eggs), so you might be on a higher dose for IVF.

As for other side effects, I have been quite moody and snappy at times. Whether that is down to the menopur, the stress of treatment or the fact my husband really can be a little bit annoying at times (!!!), I don't know - probably a combination of all three.

I can't help you with supracur I'm afraid.

I'll keep an eye on your progress with treatment, as we start the long protocol of IVF in Jan/Feb.

Best of luck
  • Options
    Hi Tinkerbelle,

I started today too - not half as bad as I'd worked myself up to believe it would be!

Good luck, hope you're OK and if Santa is doing his job right, we could be having a special delivery in our stockings this year x;\)