Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Egg Collection/Embryo Progress update

Hi ladies,

Sorry I haven't updated sooner, been feeling a bit out of it since egg collection! Well, all went well on Monday, they managed to get 14 eggs and did ICSI on 12 of them and phoned me yesterday to say that 7 have fertilised. While I was really pleased with this (it''s lovely to know that our DNA is compatible if you know what I mean!), I was also gutted as they have booked me in for tomorrow for a day 3 embryo transfer - I so wanted to get to a day 5 blastocyst. They said that it is nothing to do with quality etc at this stage, just that their criteria dictates that if you have 1-4 embryos then you have a day 2 transfer, 5-7 is day 3 and 8 or more is day 5 transfer. There's a small chance it could change to Saturday as one of the embryos was developing really well but at the moment it's looking most likely to be tomorrow afternoon at 1.30pm.
This has thrown up lots of new dilemmas for me - do we now have 2 embryos put back in instead of one? DH really only wanted one put back and we hoped we'd have a day 5 blastocyst and then possibly some for the freezer but now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to waste this cycle on the off-chance we might have some left for freezing and I want the best possible chance of that elusive BFP! But, I'm also terrified of all the stories about multiple births/miscarriage/complications if we have 2 put back and they both take. I feel like whatever we decide now is going to be the wrong decision and we might end up arguing about it!
Any advice ladies???? xxxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Sunshine, well done on getting 7 eggs fertilised, but what a dilemma to be faced with image i wouldn't like to suggest either way as i dont know your situ, for me i'd want 1 baby at a time as it's meant to carry less risk, but then the thought of putting one in and therefore the chances of it working reduced would be a tricky one to decide on.

I hope you manage to work it out argument free image

Loads of baby dust xxxx
  • Options
    Hi Sunshine

I'm glad to hear that things have gone well for you. 7 eggs fertilised is fantastic and if it is tomorrow I hope things go well for you.

As for how many embryos to put back in this is something I think all of us in this situation have thought about. I know that my DH is adament that we would put 2 back in if we are in your situation and I think I would be happy with this too but I would always take the advice of those at the clinic.
    While the thought of having twins does not scare me I am obviously scared of things going wrong or more than two. I don't know what we will actually do if we are in your situation - I feel the same, whatever we do will be wrong!

Take care xx
  • Options
    Hi Sunshine, I too wanted a blastocyst the last time we had IVF but were advised by clinic to have a day 3 transfer and 2 were put back in, luckily 1 took and we now have a beautiful 7month old boy. You have to put your faith in their hands as hard as it seems at the time I was disappointed not to have a blastocyst transfer initially but I guess they knew best. Also had the same reservations as you have re misscarriage, multiples etc it's hard to know what to do for the best.
    Hope all goes well. x
  • Options
    Hi,

Well done on getting 7 embryo's, thats fantastic! All the best for today, I know it is all making you a little bit confused and there are tough decisions to be made. My EC was planned for tues, transfer on friday, but may be moved to monday, transfer on thurs. i asked about transfer on friday, giving little ones a better chance, but they say its better to get them back in where they belong. I think the optimism about blastocysts has been short lived in a lot of clinics, not sure why, but if it was better to wait, they would. I would honestly go with what the clinic says, they are as keen to get a reault as you are, for you and their statistics lol. As for the number to put back, we were adamant we wanted two put back, but now its a reality and you look at the risks etc, we have decided on one. Its a very personal decision, lots to factor in, and only you can make it for yourselves. I already feel panicky and guilty about reducing it to one but it is for the best, its just the rollercoaster that is IVF - worry at every decision! Good luck with today, its a huge thing but relax and trust your own instincts.

Truckfulls of babydust xxx
  • Options
    Good luck for today!! To have 7 fertilise is great!
    I could have 2 donor embies but because of the increased risks of pre eclampsia with multiples, which I'm already high risk for anyway after having it previously I've decided on one. Just hope its a good one!
    I hope that it becomes obvious to the embryologists which of your embies is the best one so that you know that you've made a good decision.
    Everything crossed for you.
    Helen.xxx
  • Options
    Hi Sunshine,
    Great news about the embryos. My advice is relax a bit. Be guided my the professionals & try not to worry. As you say what ever you do you will think you should have done the opposite....clearly your thinking like a parent already lol.
    Good luck xxxx
  • Options
    I hope all has gone well and that you are confident in your decision. The girls have said it all. Best of luck and lots of babydust xx
  • Options
    Hi again! well....what an emotional rollercoaster of a week this is turning into! Just as we were about to set off for the clinic yesterday, they phoned and said that we had the option of going to blastocyst stage now! As of yesterday, we had 3 really strong embryos all graded 7/8 (8 being the highest score) and 2 of them were 7 cells and one was 8 cells. I had a really good chat with the embryologist and she said that the 8 cell one in particular had been looking good from the start and as I had 3 really good grade ones that they would like to give me the option of going to blastocyst. As this is what we had originally hoped for, it seemed like the right decision to make. Plus I have still been a bit uncomfortable and dischargey (sorry TMI!) from the egg collection so waiting until tomorrow gives me the chance to feel calmer and more comfortable, I also know that if it is one really good blastocyst that we will go with just one put back in as she said that from my age (31), bmi (21) and given the fact this is my first attempt, the risk of twins would be more than 40% if we had 2 blasts put back. I also felt that she wouldn't have called us up and given us the option to go to blastocyst stage if this wasn't a good thing as she does this every day and knows what tends to be good and what doesn't! She said I could go yesterday and have 2 really good embryos put back in (although they would have struggled to choose the bst one for the second one between the 2 7 cell ones) or I can have one or two put back at blstocyst stage tomorrow and basically said the choice was ours which reassured me. SO, we are going tomorrow morning and hopefully having one good blastocyst put back and then maybe we will have 2 in the freezer and if (God forbid) it doesn't work maybe we will defrost both for next time.
    Thanks for all your support, I feel like this is a weird dream half the time and don't know if I'm coming or going but we are getting there - fingers crossed for tomorrow and then the dreaded 2WW!! (And goodness knows what day I will be testing now!)
    Hope you're all doing well xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Soooo pleased for you, it all seems so positive for you. Although it is not a straight forward thing, all the changes are pointing you into the best possible outcome! Getting to blastocyst stage is what you really wanted, and the worry about twins is over. Just think, the 2ww is usually from the EC so your a good way through now too (if thats how your clinic does it). I feel really positive for you, I have a good feeling xxx
  • Options
    Thanks Lorraine! Just been for pre-embryo transfer accupunture and feeling mega-blissed out! She did the Zita West treatment CD and needle points and it was lovely, feeling positive and relaxed about tomorrow. Make sure you have a nice relaxing weekend too ready for your egg collection next week- we will be in the 2ww together! Kate xxx
  • Options
    Everything crossed for you today!
    Helen.xxx
  • Options
    Hope todays gone well xxx