Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Risks with Multiple Pregnancies

Hey ladies, I really hope this is not going to upset / offend anyone. I've deliberated over posting this as I know some of you reading this will be (or hoping to be) pg with twins.....so if you are, just to warn you this is not the nicest of topics... :\(

As you many know we are starting IVF in a couple of week's time. I am trying as much as possible to just take things each step at a time. So right now, I'm waiting for my AMH test results to find out what my ovarian reserve is like. However, I just cannot put this one out of my mind....I have always loved loved loved the idea of having twins. Never really thought I would though. However, now that we're having IVF I thought this could become a reality and was really excited at the prospect. However, our cons. has strongly advised us against having two embroyos put back (if we get two). She said that the worst possible outcome for us would be two babies born at 26 weeks with brain damage that we have to spend the rest of our lives caring for. She also said that infertility treatments are pretty much soley responsible for babies in SCBU's. Now I can see her point and inderstand they have to be responsible about this. However, I am really upset about it. I feel like having two would give us a better chance of getting at least one healthy baby. I would also love twins if that happened. However, she has now really scared my husband and he is pretty set on just one. It also seems weird because everyone who I've read about has had two embies put back in (if they have two). I kind of have this theory that it is just to do with them meeting their targets as they are supposed to limit the numbers of multiple pg's however maybe I am just being naive??

I can't say I know too much about this and all the sets of twins I know are perfectly healthy, so does anyone have any info / know of any research on this? What are your opinions? What have you done / would you do? I feel I need some evidence (either way) to convince me and and my husband about this one. PLEASE HELP!!!!! xxx