Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

IUI or IVF?

Hi Ladies, looking for some advice. (sorry for the essay, i cant get me head straight)

Next year I have to start some treatment. I will be eligable for 1 go at IVF on nhs but nothing else. My consult say's a couple of goes at IUI is worth a go, but i will have to pay privately, (approx ??1000 each go), now i am confused.

I dont have unlimited funds (obviously!) I think i will be able to scrap together (beg, steel and borrow!) about ??10, 000 for treatment over all, but i cant decide what to do, i know IUI is less intrusive so more appeaing, but its less effective. I am worried i will throw ??2000 at it and if unsuccessful will wish i had put it towards IVF in the future. (But what if it works... that will be amazing!)

If i say on avergae IVF is about 4, 500 i will have my 1 free go and then still be able to pay for 2 more cycles. (i have always said 3 goes's and thats enough heart ache for me)

What would you do, did you do? Obviously if it were free i would do it all..

Any stories? Postive or negative? If you did IUI what are your views? would you do the same again or straight to IVF?

Thanks ladies, any help gratefully appreciated.

a confused Gem xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Gem, from memory we are with the same PCT. I am struggling with exactly the same thoughts!! My local hospital, however, could not tell me whether DHs swimmers were moving fast or slow, only what proportion were moving. As this information is critical in the process of IUI, I am waiting until we have had the SA that goes with the IVF process (as this will be done outside of the local hospital and will tell us what we need to know) before we make any decisions. Have you thought about doing IUI in between IVF sessions to 'break them up' a bit? Where abouts in the country are you? I reckon we'll be going through the same thing at about the same time so would be lovely to keep in touch, maybe even meet for coffee or something if we're local.......?

Good luck with your decisions and sorry I haven't been much help.

xxx
  • Options
    Hi Gem

This is such a tough one.

I know that IUI success rates aren't that great, but they also vary a lot depending on the clinic, so check that out on the HFEA site before you hand over your cash. Also check what type of IUI they offer - eg is it unmedicated (relatively rare) or with clomid or injected drugs to stimulate OV.

I'm so sorry that I'm having a brain fart and I can't remember exactly what your test results show. If an issue lies with your OH, then in your shoes I'd be tempted to move straight on to IVF. Our IVF consultant said he thought IVF was the right option for us in the new year, and possibly even ICSI based on MrD's slightly sluggish and disorientated swimmers.

We are doing IUI now, but to be honest the decison was made for us based on what our PCT offers. It hasn't been all that intrusive, and in some ways it is a good warm up for what is going to happen in IVF - I feel confident about self injecting for one thing, I don't think twice about having an internal scan (on second thoughts, should I be glad that I don't object to dildocams...?) and MrD has experienced me in full hormonal screaming banshee mode (NOT pretty) so hopefully there will be no more surprises there.

Our IUI hasn't worked yet (!), but it did work for my sister on her second round. I know there are a fair few of us having the treatment on this board, but there are loads more on the fertility friends board. I don't post there, but there is a wealth of experience there (including success stories) about both IUI and IVF.

I'm sorry - I haven't helped at all, and I've possibly confused you even more. What does your OH want to do?
  • Options
    Hey Gem,
    It's a tough decision. I agree it will depend on what your hubbie's s/a is looking like....I seem to remember they fluctuate? From what I've researched, I perosonally wouldn;t go for IUI unless it was free. The success rates where we are are very low (I have a figure like 5 or 10% in my head but that could be wrong). If there are any issues with sperm, I don't think it would be much different from trying naturally / having follicle tracking with injections. I personally weighed up the costs (financial, emotional, physical) of the doing the treatement with the chances of success and decided I'd rather go the whole hog and have a decent chance of it working.
    Sorry to say that I started out thinking that IVf would be around ??4500 but costs have gradually crept up and I think it will be closer to ??6500/??7000 in the end. We did go to Lister though which is slightly more expenisive. On top of the price of IVF, we have to pay for ICSI (which you may or may not need of course), HFEA fees (about ??100 only), drugs (mine are around ??500 but can be as much as ??1500), blood tests (about ??50 a go)....then if we get to blastocysts that will be an extra ??500 and if we are lucky enough to have any to freeze that will be another ??500 or so. As MrsD said we bought our injections from Central Homecare (based in Alton) and that is quite a bit cheaper than the clinic.
    I guess you have to weigh what is right for you and your personal circumstances, but if I were you I'd have the free IVf and save my money for another go if I need it (or a sibling!!). Hope that helps in some way xxx

MrsD - so glad you said that about the screaming banshee.....sounds v familiar....I had a little 'incident' about wanting the house clean over the weekend and ended up in that state! xxx
  • Options
    Wanting the house to be clean? At least your screaming rant was over something important... Mine was over where to put the coffee table!!
  • Options
    He he MrsD, you have NO idea how nice it is to hear that someone as lovely and rational as you sound has also had these outbursts!!! I look back and just cannot believe my own behaviour (but Gem don't let that put you off!!! It will be worth it if it works.....) xxx