Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Fertility treatment - book recommendations

Evening

Now I know everyone is different, but my reaction to knowing we needed to go down the route of fertility treatment made me want to absorb as much information as possible. Obviously there is plenty of information on the web (of varying quality!) but I did find myself straying to Amazon, and wandering to the "Health / Women's health / Fertility" sections whenever I was in Waterstones.

There is such a massive range of books out there, I thought it might help if we shared some short book reviews and recommendations.

A Child Against All Odds by Robert Winston: I loved, loved, loved this book. It's very informative, and explained all the science behind IVF (and other treatments), while remaining very accessible. It talked a lot about the history of fertility treatment, which was fascinating, and explored the ethical issues, including from the perspective of various world religions. Although Lord Winston understandably has a very medical approach, his writing his not devoid of the emotional side of things - it is overwhelmingly clear that he does this work because he genuinely cares about his patients and rejoices in their success. I liked the inside view on what goes on behind the scenes at clinics: reading that the staff sometimes cry when they have had to deliver news to patients that their eggs haven't fertilised or embryos haven't made it really touched me. The only downside of this book is the length - 600+ pages. You need a good chunk of time to devote to it - it is not light hearted reading.

The Couple's Guide to In Vitro Fertilization by Liza Charlesworth: The was a useful, very easy read, and was a good introduction to both fertility testing and treatment - it didn't assume any prior knowledge (as a result I skipped over a few parts) and gave plenty of short (sucessful) case studies which were very encouraging. It's an Amercian book, so some parts simply aren't relevant to me in the UK, like dealing with insurance companies (I just skipped these chapters). The section on emotional support was good. I made my husband read it (took some doing!), and I don't know how Ms Charlesworth managed it, but he has been noticeably more supportive about treatment ever since. I don't doubt he has been backing me throughout this fertility journey, but somehow the book got him to express it to me, so for that reason alone, I loved this book!!

The Complete Guide to IVF by Kate Brian: Written for the UK market, it doesn't suffer from the issue of the above book where chunks simply weren't relevant. Again, it's easy to read and informative. I guess my only complaint was that by the time I got to this book was that I already knew a lot about the process, so it was going over old ground to a certain extent. But that's no reflection on the book.

Any more for any more?

MrsD
xx

Replies

• Options
    I am a massive Zita West fan... have her book on fertility and conception and it is really interesting. She breaks fertility down and all the steps leading up to IVF. She then does a chapter on IVF and explains each section, how to help yourself, suggestions of how to increase your chances of it working, and how each part of the process will affect you and how to make the process easier on yourself. I found it really interesting and am constantly looking back it to it.
    Highly recommend it.xx