Forum home› Getting pregnant› IVF & assisted conceptions
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

IVF your help please

I'm still in shock but my DH SA came back and has confirmed he has a very low sperm count (14 mil). Our cons has advised that there is no chance for us to conceive without IVF.

I am so confused, I am 38 and no longer qualify under NHS so have to go private. I am looking at going to the Lister in the New Year but have no idea what the process is. I have heard of long/short protocol, sniffing, down regging....please help what does this mean......what is the process. When should I start to complete the paperwork (what is the paperwork all about?)

Should I be doing anything to help....I see others have mention, pineapple juice, brazil nuts and protein. The money is tight and I only have 1 go at this.

Sorry I have asked so many questions, but feel like my world has stopped spinning and dont understand what is happening.

Thanks ladies,

Mrs Bee x x x

Replies

• Options
    Thank you so much.

I have given up smoking, alcholol and coffee....but there are so many foods with caffeine in - chocolate, diet coke for example are these also no no's ?

You were right when you said its a kick in the face, I cried my eyes out and my dh said I was making things worse as the problem was with him.....inside I was in so much pain but couldnt show or talk to him as this made things worse, he also didnt want use to tell anyone the problem was with him so Ive been unable to speak to anyone.

What sort of cost am I looking at at the Lister?

Again apols for so many questions

Mrs Bee x x x
  • Options
    Hi Mrs Bee

Sorry to hear you have had such a shock. I think your first priority should be to take time with your OH to digest this news... and then plan how you will tackle it together. IVF is no one's dream way to conceive their child, but it is positive to have something to focus on and work towards.

I am currently having IUI until the end of the year and if that doesn't work we move on to IVF in the new year. We have had our initial IVF consultation at Hammersmith, and so far they have been excellent. The choice of hospital was however made for us (NHS funding). My boss and his wife also had IVF at Hammersmith and have a gorgeous 2 year old daughter to show for it. They investigated Lister at the same time, and concluded that for them the differences between the two were minimal - other than the price (Hammersmith was quite a bit cheaper for them).

Like MrsAmanda says, there are some excellent books out there on IVF. I plan to read all about the process over the Christmas/NY break, and I've been told a nurse will take me through all the drugs and processes in a lot of detail before the meds start.

Sorry that your OH is having difficulty accepting the results, and feels guilty that he sees it as his "fault". All fertility clinics are supposed to offer a counselling service, and it might be worth taking them up on that.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Thank you both so very much.

I cant stop crying......one minute i'm fine and the next im in pieces.
    I know I have to be strong but feel like crap......and had a bit of a moment when I decided to watch Octomum! The woman who has 14 children from IVF.....I only want one!. I feel I must have done something so bad for this to happen.

Well I shall look into the Zita West Books as I need to have a good read of things, so scared incase I do something stupid that could harm my chances.

I have been keeping upto date with TBD and I so wish her all the very best.

Mrs Bee x x x x
  • Options
    Hi Mrs Bee,

I was going to say Mrs Amanda and TBD are the ladies to speak to.

Depending on your hubby's SA on the day you may need ICSI or sometimes they can do half ICSI half IVF.

My hubby has severe oligoaesthenozoospermia (low numbers (less than 1 million) and motility of sperm) and on the day of egg collection had no sperm at all! Fortunately he'd had some frozen as back up which we used and worked!

Just wanted to say the fact your hubby has sperm is positive and if you're fit/healthy with regular cycles your success rate will be even higher than the national average.

I think TBD went to an open evening at the Lister which you might find useful?

Good luck image

xxxxxx

• Options
    Thank you Mrs Pootle.

I have seen they have open nights at the Lister, but was worried about going.....I dont know why!!!!

I so want this to work, but when I found out that DH SA was so poor, it was like a weight of my shoulders, in that we knew why it wasnt happening and now dont feel under pressure to BD at the right time and endure the 2ww and play spot the symptoms. But I dont want everything to be pinned on the IVF, I cant win emotionally atm.

Thanks again, Mrs Bee x x x
  • Options
    Hey Mrs Bee, have replied on your other thread but just read through this....with all these rec's for the Lister you'll HAVE to go there now!!! No, seriously, it has to be a decision that you feel comfortable with. It's so hard not to pin all your hopes on IVF working, but really the odds are really pretty good, especially at the Lister.

What is your concern about going to the open evening hon? I was v nervous about going too, was sure I'd see someone I knew! It was simply a fairly formal talk using a powerpoint presentation and then a little bit of time for Q&A at the end. The chairs were laid out in rows like in a lecture theatre, so you don't have to look at / talk to other people. I'm sure most people there were nervous, but it was very informative and just nice to meet one of the consultants and see the hospital. Lots of clinics we researched did not offer anything like this and said you just had to book an initial consultation to find out more.

But, if you are not comfortable with going to the open evening hon, then you can always just book an initial consultation.

Ask away of any more questions hon...it is such an awful emotional time, and I'm sure all of us on this forum can relate to how you're feeling. I really cannot believe how much i have cried in the past year....but hopefully it will all be worth it xxx