Forum home Getting pregnant IVF & assisted conceptions

really bad sa results - in shock :(

hi ladies,

We have been trying for about 9 months/UPSI for 15 and went to get our sa results this am.

They were really bad from what i can see though the gp is not an expert. He said our best hope would be ivf.

The results were less than 1 million, 2 % motlity (slow sluggish), 2% morphology.

Does anyone have any advice to offer/experiences to share. I would really appreciate it as this morning has been a shock and we are both very emotional/ feel failures and are worried we will never have a family.

Thank you xxx

PS we have our 1st gynae appoint this pm and im hoping we will get referred for ivf straight away as the results are so bad but not sure. I had tubes/womb checked last year when i had a cystectomy.

Replies

• Hi SAMSA, I responded to your other post in the other forum.
  • Claireski, congrats on your pregnancy. Its great to hear of some pos stories as im so scared we will never have a baby now.

We are still in shock and have a few good cries. I guess its normal to feel like this as you never imagine you will be making a baby this way. DH has said he can leave me if i want so i can have a baby with someone else- of course i am trying to make him see that i married him and its him i want a family with. I think this is all normal?

The good news is we are being referred for ivf with icsi and the consultant said the current waiting list is about 4 months in my area and we also get 3 free goes which is great. We have to get hiv, hep bloods and i have to get fsh bloods and he said that would take about 2 months (not sure why so long) and that takes us to about 6 months which is much better than i thought. I am so glad he referred us straight rather than messing about with more tests. He said there wasnt an awful lot we could do to change the sa as it was so bad.

So now its just a waiting game.Im hoping the time will go quickly and ill make sure we keep trying at the right times in the meantime. We may even end up with twins which would be a challenge but also a blessing! xxx
  • Hi hon,

I just wanted to say that my hubby had 2% morphology. We were being referred for ICSI which I felt pretty positive about.

I knew the wait would be agonising after already TTC for nearly 2 years so I changed jobs, concentrated on the house etc and 4 months after my consultation/referral we fell pregnant naturally.

The absolute shock of my life and happiest moment ever to that point (12 week scan has since topped it)!

Bubs is due in December.

It's a real blow when you get poor results, it really is. But whether it's with the help of ICSI or mother nature gives you a break whilst you wait- you'll get there.

Keep positive and have faith, it's all you can do and when it happens it's that bit more precious!

Good luck xx
  • I totally agree with the other girls,

Hubby's first SA come back low in all areas and we were told ICSI was our only hope (but we had previously fallen pregnant naturally which was ectopic) anyway, hubby took all his vits, and cut out alcohol and his sample improved to borderline 'normal'.

We continued to 'try' with me on clomid while we waited for our IVF referral on NHS, and on the month we were about to be referred and my final month of clomid we got our much wanted BFP!

Wishing you lots of luck either through ICSI or natural.. Just looking through this forum should give you lots of hope.

Good Luck

Gem x
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, it feels me with hope to hear of these stories! I am hoping it will happen naturally but if not, feeling more hopeful that ICSI will work for us. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancies xxx
  • Hi Samsa- I'm glad the stories have given you some hope and that you're feeling better about ICSI.

Best of luck and thank you for your kind words xx