Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Evening Primrose?

Hey ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone took this? and if so when are you supposed to take it?

I've never really thought much about it more so because i didn't know what it was for, however i've been struggling alot recently with my hair starting to fall out (more so than usual) and it feels unbelievably fine. i started doing research about whether i may have a hormonal imbablance and came across taking evening primrose.....i read about it some more and it says about taking it to make you more fertile aswell and helps you to produce ewcm......so i've been out n got some, only the one i've bought is 500mg n evry page i read says it should be between 1000- 2000mg AND that it should only be taken between starting day of af up to ov

does anyone else know of this? any feedback appreciated.

thanks

hanx

Replies

• Options
    Maybe you should start taking 500mg from day of your next af and stop the day of ov and if you haven't noticed a difference take 2 x 500mg etc.

I have never taken evening primrose but I think I may start taking some form of vitamins as I have read that they are good for water retention.

xx
  • Options
    Evening primrose is meant to be good at balancing your hormones and it has something in it that makes you produce good more fertile cervical mucus. I have 1000mcgs but have to admit I only remember to take it maybe for a few days during and after my period. Your meant to take it from day 1 to day 14.
  • Options
    thanks for the replies ladies. yeah i thought it was day 1 -14 think i'm on about day 24 so will have to wait now. will go n get some a bit stronger too i think. only the best will do image
  • Options
    Can't you just take double the dose? It would save you money.
  • Options
    I've just seen this post and, coincidentally, I bought some evening primrose capsules and started taking them and have ov'd (last natural af was august!)with more ewcm than I've ever seen! (sorry tmi!). Perhaps its a coincidence, but I will stop taking it now.

T xx
  • Options
    Interesting point Windy! I was on Primrose Oil last month - so much ewcm!!! Need to get back onto it again this month!!!
  • Options
    G/C to say I have PCOS and was having really long irregular cycles, I started taking soy isoflavones and vitamin B6 as I heard they were good for fertility, I took the B6 every day and the soy on CD 3 - 7 I think, and after a year I got pregnant the 2nd cycle of taking them, it could be a complete coincidence but considering my hubby has low sperm count and reduced motility and we were going to have IVF this year, it can't have hurt!! I had my 2 shortest cycles in a year as well. Might be worth a try?
  • Options
    Thanks Magpie - sounds interesting image
  • Options
    hey ladies.

i've jus increased evening primrose to 1000mg.

was taking 500mg and noticed alot of ewcm. hubby was away at this point so know i'm out this month but now i know it might help i'm thinking the higher strength may jus be what is needed to get a bfp...fingers n toes are crossed.

also back in fertility clinic tomorrow. no idea whats happening next, had lap n dye in sept so jus have to wait n see what they're gonna do. soo nervous tho...god only knows why :-S

thanks for the replies

han xxxxxx
  • Options
    Good luck for tomorrow xx
  • Options
    thanks windy miller.

appoint went well, i've been put on clomid now so feeling really positive. the consultant advised me to not take evening primrose oil whilst taking clomid as both effect hormone levels so my experiment with that has come to an end i'm afraid! (wish i hadn't gone out and bought a bloody huge tub of the stuff tho image

not that i'm bothered, hopefully this clomid will work. fingers n toes are all crossed

my af is due next wed so i can start taking it then. so fricking excited

hope ur well

han xx