Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First Gynae Appointment..

Really happy got my date for my first gynae appt today, only got referred on friday and appt is 4th april so didn't think that was too bad at all!

Just wondered if anyone could give me any advice on what to expect on my first appointment? What are they likely to do? I've already had a scan and told I've got PCOS. Been sent for complete blood tests too. Am i likely to be prescribed clomid or similar straight up or more investigations?

Thnaks for your help

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hey, I had my first appointment today and was confirmed as having PCOS. When i went they just asked myself an partner about our history and asked about my periods and they also wanted a sample from OH. After i had the internal scan they said i have PCOS and I was prescribled clomid today which i was quite shocked by as i thought they would want to do further tests.

All hospitals seem to be different from what i have been told but it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be!

Good luck xx
  • Options
    Thanks Alice, that's really helpful. Sounds like quite a productive appointment for you. hope clomid works for you.

Can I ask whereabouts you are in the country?

I'm struggling waiting for my appt, now I have been referred I just want to be seen now!

xx
  • Options
    I'm in Glasgow where abouts are u? The wait for appointments here is really bad I was referred in April last year and was only seen yesterday! So I understand what it's like to wait about for the app. The wait will give u time to relax about it all because u know there will be help shortly so that makes it easier to cope with I guess.

I ended up working myself up about the app and I was ready not to go because I was so scared of what would happen or what they would say. But it was a nice experience I couldn't fault anything.

I hope the next few weeks fly past for you so u can get the ball rolling! Let me

know how you get on xx
  • Options
    Wow, now i feel really bad for moaning about the wait. Your wait was mammouth! That must have been so hard and no wonder you had worked yourself up, you had plenty of time to do it!

I'm really glad you had a good appointment, now for clomid to do its thing.

I'm off to have blood tests tomo cos AF finally came today and had been waiting for CD1 to do them so at least something positive to do to help things along. I'm in Kent!

• Options
    hi wispa

just catching up on what's happening with you, went on ttc to see who i still knew and was told you'd moved here.

So pleased you are seeing someone and will be moving forward very soon. Roll on april for you! Keep in touch

xxx
  • Options
    Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Alfie hunni, how are you? I was so pleased to see your name come up on the thread. Was thinking about you the other day. How's the world of pregnancy going? How far along are you now?

Moved over to this forum a little while ago, finding it really supportive and pleased to find others in similar situations. Really looking forward to my appt but just hope i don't get my hopes up too much for them to be sent crashing down with a disappointing appt. Hope i get treatment straight away and they don't send me for more tests or something.

How's things with your parents now, are they getting excited about being grandparents?

Really so pleased to hear from you,

big hugs

xx
  • Options
    ah wispa, ive missed you too, you took some finding! all new names in ttc.

i think you should see it as such a positive step going for this appointment, finally things are moving on. is clomid an obvious first step for PCOS? Hopefully you will be like mrs ad - first month using it and she has twins due in july! Can't think of anyone who deserves to be a mummy more than you.

i think whatever happens at the 1st appt its the next step to having a baby - and even if they send you for more tests, its the start of a sequence that will end in a baby for you (though i understand youve waited long enough!)

im 19+1 (unbelievable still, even to me) and honestly would not have known i was pg at all until 17 weeks, no bump, sickness or anything. We all used to debate symptoms in the dpo days which makes me laugh now as my first symptom as a little bump and slight movements at 17 and a half weeks! Other than the lack of periods, nothing! Such a huge thing happening to me and yet my body has gone on as normal.

have 20 week scan a week today. obviously its common knowledge now and my parents have been amazing, they are just so over the moon. Think they're going to need to be as things not great with OH, he's luckier than he knows but still acts like nothing has changed!!

anyway, im glad you're getting well supported over here but don't forget me and when you get your bfp i want to hear about it! keep in touch about your appt hun and good luck xx
  • Options
    Hiya,

Sorry I took some finding, I turned into a bit of a lurker for a while as was disheartened by it all but have recently started posting more again. Must be the feelings of optimism with my appt date.

Can't believ you're 19weeks already?! I still remember your BFP like it was last week! How amazing you had no sickness, although i guess it must have felt really weird not having any symptoms and wondering if things were still ok etc? Are you gonna find out pink or blue at scan? I originally thought i'd stay team yellow when its my turn but have become increasingly more adament that i'd find out now. Mostly cos i love being prepared and could shop more (shopping- my biggest passion, hehe)!

I'm really glad your parents are being supportive. I remember you were worried about telling them originally. Sorry to hear about OH tho, what's wrong? Is he being unsupportive? Is he in denial do you think? Does he talk to you about his feelings or is he a bit of a closed book? These damn men.

xxx
  • Options
    hi wispa

sorry to hijack your thread!

i can understand you lurking and not feeling like posting, really lovely to hear from you though. I loved chatting in ttc and miss everyone.

I'm 19+2, 20 week scan next friday, I have been changing my mind like a yoyo re: finding out the sex, in my heart i know that moment at the birth when i see what my baby is will be amazing, but the truth is am too excited and would almost certainly break and ask them to tell me - only oh doesnt want to know and i think if either of you feel that way its best to wait for a surprise. If he can't resist at the scan though i know i wont either! It has been wierd having no symptoms, i think coz ive sailed through oh has forgotten to treat me any different - i still do everything at home, he never makes me feel very special, i think he's in denial and a little bit scared - he isnt the one who has to push it out though so dont know what he has to worry about :lol: really we are so very, very lucky to have this wonderful baby and i know he'll rise to it when he has to but its all a bit hurtful.

Anyway...am dominating the thread with my stuff! Wispa i just can't wait to hear that you've had some good news and am so pleased you are finally getting to see someone - how long have you been waiting for your appointment? Now i know which forum you're in ill be lurking myself so can keep up to speed.

Take care hun and stay strong, lots of love xx
  • Options
    Don't be silly, it's lovely to have you hijacking the thread, hehe.

That sounds like you're really having a tough time with hubby. Have you had chance to chat to him about how you feel? It's trying to pick your time tho so he doesn't take the chat the wrong way and get defensive thats the hard bit isn't it? I really hope it all works out hun. If you ever need to talk you know where i am. What was hubby like before you got pregnant? Is this behaviour normal for him and it's just upsettign you more cos you're pregnant or is it totally out of character for him?

As for me, didn't have too long to wait for appt. Doc referred on 24th feb and appt 4th april so not too bad really. Still feels like forever tho. I caved and told my amazingly lovely line manager at work the other week and she was perfect and so so supportive and said she'll have my back for when i need to skive for appts etc which is a big weight off my mind.

How's work going for you? Have they been nice when you told them your news?

xx
  • Options
    hi wispa, sorry for the delay in replying.

You got me thinking that OH has not massively changed with me, its just that i expect more from him as life is changing and becoming more stressful! I get frustrated that he cant see he needs to grow up and sort our home out. He works hard though but things have got tougher lately as hardly getting any kisses and cuddles or even much conversation, think i annoy him! Guess its huge changes for us both. scan on friday which will be lovely and am hoping will remind us both what matters as we are so very lucky.

Glad you are getting some good support from your boss, when you do get pg you wont have the whole worry of her reaction either or the big dilemma of when to tell her - she'll be expecting it and will be so happy for you because she'll know the struggle you've had.

im lucky as my employer was fab, she is very much a ticking the box kind of person and has focused on all the legal stuff - getting me risk assessed immediately etc but its nice to feel well looked after.My colleagues and family all treat me like a princess so im very lucky, i dont ask to be spoilt rotten as ive had such an easy pregnancy and i think id feel like a fraud anyway - but you just want to be made to feel a bit special by the one person who loves your little one as much as you! But i know i shouldnt moan.

will be thinking of you on april 4th hun, not long to go now for some answers xxx
  • Options
    Grrrrrrrr,

Got to have a vent! Had my appt today and it was rubbish. Didn't get to see the consultant, saw two SHOs (more junior docs) who seemed to know less about PCOS than I did! They were really nice but were indecisive and didn't know what to do. Then they have requested more blood tests to confirm i'm not ovulating even tho they know from my previous results that i'm not! they've also requested swabs to test for chlamydia etc. They've suggested next appt in 4-6 weeks but cos the clinics are so booked the next available one isn't until at least 10 weeks away but the receptionist is going to see what she can do.

I'm totally gutted and so frustrated and disappointed. Can't belive what a waste of time today was. So annoyed that other people in different parts of the country seem to get such a different experience and get prescribed clomid straight away. I've just got no PMA at all now and feeling very srry for myself!

Alice, if you're still reading this, how are you getting on hun?

Alfie, hope you ok sweetie? How's things with hubby? Have you had your 20 week scan? Did you find out sex?

xx
  • Options
    Hey Wispa I'm really sorry ur app didn't go to plan! it's so frustrating that places do things so differently. I would go back and say ur not happy with the treatment u received (or lack of it!) I had one blood test before being referred to gynae so I don't understand why they would want to check it again (my first test showed no ovulation) If I was in ur position I would be gutted aswell it's so hard to stay positive when all these obstacles are in the way.

Defo try and get a second opinion.

If u need to chat u know where I am. xx
  • Options
    Thanks alice. Thanks for replying. I felt much better just getting it all out and having a moan. You're right, it's the feeling of having to climb over obstacles that's so hard. i'm sure they only sent me for blood tests cos they werent sure what else to do, grrr.

How's things going with you? Are you on clomid now? If so hope you're not getting nasty side effects

Thanks again for replying

• Options
    They possibly just want to see if this is a one off or if u dont ovulate regularly. Are u currently using ovulation testing kits? If so do u ever get positive results?

I totally feel for u. My first appointment was so productive and its ashame yours wasnt the same. However u will get there in the end. Its just sometimes a very long process.

I am on my first cycle of clomid had really bad side effects for just over a week but im all better now. I had my 21 day bloods taken today and it turns out i have ovulated this month thanks to clomid so its just a waiting game now! xx
  • Options
    Aw wispa, so sorry to hear it was all a bit of a let down. Did the shos not even ask the cons/reg for advice? Totally ignoring you being messed around, they're there to train- if they just waste everyones time by sending you for more bloods you don't think you need, they're not helping anyone- you or themselves!

I really hope the hosp can arrange to see you when they said. As for the cons next time, or at least to have your case run past them- you can and the dr shouldnt be offended if they've got any sense

Kx
  • Options
    Thanks pumpkin.

It was the last appt of the day and they were running late and it all felt a bit rushed. Gutted! Got the blood tests done again yest just so they're done. Now awaiting my new appt date, really hope it's not too far away.

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll try and ask for the consultant next time.

• Options
    hi wispa

so sorry to hear things are going slow for you. I know exactly what the NHS can be like - so frustrating! Did you already have blood tests at the gp to confirm you don't ovulate? Maybe it's worth asking your GP to call them and fax these results through to hammer it hoome to them. Then maybe when you do get your appointment you'll be that bit further on.

If there's one thing ive learnt about the NHS its that (however unfair it might be) the people who shout the loudest get sorted. Hassle them every day till you get your appointment. They must get the odd cancellation. Hopefully by the time you get this message something positive has happened and you feel a bit better.

We had 20 week scan, stayed yellow, not sure where we found the self control! Well, it was OH that stayed strong but am pleased now, though was hard leaving without knowing, will be lovely at the birth. Everything was ok with baby and that is a huge relief. Keep in touch xx
  • Options
    Hey Wispa? How r you getting on? Are you any further forward with apps or tests? Hope u are keeping well. xx
  • Options
    I really feel for you, my appoint was not like that at all, I was told by my dr that I didn't ovulate when I had my bloods before my appoint but when I saw the dr I had!

Also I had to go to see the dr for some things before appoint to save a bit of time!

I now have to have the hsg and hubby needs his test done again and then we go back in 3 months - also had a scan there and then.

I know it's tough and it hurts like mad when it keeps being stalled like this, but just keep going, I was told two years ago that I would not be referred as I was not entilted - even checked with another dr a year later and then when I went in and saw another one with headaches she listened and referred me!!!!!

Keep your chin up xxxxx