Forum home Getting pregnant Long term TTC & infertility
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Question about day 21 bloods, please help.

Hi ladies,

It has been quite some time since I have been on BE, and the first time I have ventured into Long term ttc and infertility. I took a break as all the trying and no succeeding was really getting me down.

Still no further on than when I left so went to the doctors to discuss the situation and because I have PCOS and my cycles vary from 28 to 65 days he is sending me for day 21 bloods to see if I am ovulating.

So here is my question, typically day 21 of my cycle falls while I am on holiday so I wont be able to have my blood test until day 23 or day 26 (depending on whether the blood bank opens on day 23). Do you think this matters? Will this affect the results? I really don't want to wait what could possibly be another 12 weeks just to have some blood taken. Grrr!

Thanks for your help ladies.

Xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hey - I had bloods done on day 23 - was fine. Also had bloods done at a random point in my cycle (PCOS also, ridiculous cycles etc). When bloods were done at random point they showed ovulation, same when on day 23.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Hi there

I have day 21 bloods taken every month your progesterone levels will still be elevated a couple of days after day 21 if you have ovulated ( above 30 i think means you ovulated) but please be aware that because your cycles vary in length you may not necessarily ovulate on day 21 and if poss i would suggest opk to determine when you ovulate and then go 7 days after to the docs to have bloods otherwise you may be told your not ovulating because you are having the test too early. Hope this makes senseimage
  • Options
    Hi Munchie78UK and leanne79UK1,

Thanks so much for the replies, I really appreciate the help. Glad you found you were ovulating Munchie, I guess that is half the battle.

Thanks Leanne, I hadn't even thought about the fact that day 21 might be too early in my cycle, let alone day 26 - so annoying having such random cycles.

Thanks again.

Xxx
  • Options
    I ov'd day 28 the month I concieved . I was using cbfm to track as ov was different each month. Good luck. X
  • Options
    Well, finally reached day 23, had the blood test and got results yesterday. Dr said level should be 30 or there abouts. Mine was just 3.1. image. Dr said that with a level like that even if I ovulated later on in cycle (which varies from 29-65 days) its unlikely ovulation is happening properly and really really unlikely that I would get pregnant. So we're being referred to fertility dr. Grrr.

So upset and now my sister in law is trying for her second which pisses me off because at every oppurtunity she has she dumps her gorgeous daughter onto other people and hates spending time with her - she should appreciate the child she already has!!! Sorry for that bitter rant, feel a tad better now.
  • Options
    Hi MrsE

I am sorry to hear you are being referred onto fertility doctor. But on the bright side they should be able to work out why your not ovulating and help with medication. Good luck.

I am new to this sight. I have been through all the blood tests and know how frustrating it can all be. I hope you get sorted. We have been TTC for 2 and half years and just found out we need IVF as have blocked tubes image

Hope it works out for you. I also have family who get pregnant at drop of a hat. VERY Frustrating!! image

Good luck